Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 08:26:27

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Feature request: derender 

That's a nice feature. Quicker and easier than checking "hide selected objects" and them selecting everything you want hidden. And, without the outlines that "hide selected objects" gives as well.

Two comments. First, could you move the option off the bottom of the pie menu? It's too easy to accidentally click that while clicking "More >." There was a discussion on one of the forums some time ago when another option was placed in the bottom of the last pie menu. People complained about it (I don't remember where, sorry).

Second, a way to undo the derendering would be nice. Ctrl-Z undo would be ideal, removing them one at a time, but a button, or menu item to clear the derender list would work as well.

2011-09-08 08:47:42

jewel wrote:
With the derender added, I was wondering if it might be possible to add an option to derender when muting someone?
No. Too dangerous (there is a reason why the muted avatars are still rendered as grey silhouettes, such as knowing where they are going (if you don't want to stay around them, for example) or simply to avoid bumping into them when you move (which could cause you troubles should they think you are doing it on purpose: bumping repeatedly into someone's avatar could be ARed and considered an harassment, especially if you muted that person !).

If *you* choose to derender a muted AV, then fine, *you* take the risks and know what you are doing, but this should in no way be an automatic feature.

Plus, derendering automatically muted objects and avatars as you come around them (or as they come around you) would mean adding more code in the object rezzing path, which would only slow down things for a feature most won't use.

2011-09-08 10:42:59
Profile WWW

Ibrew Meads wrote:
That's a nice feature. Quicker and easier than checking "hide selected objects" and them selecting everything you want hidden. And, without the outlines that "hide selected objects" gives as well.
These are different features, not to be used for the same purpose, since derendering means removing the object data from the viewer altogether, and this is irreversible, unlike "hide selected".

Quote:
Two comments. First, could you move the option off the bottom of the pie menu? It's too easy to accidentally click that while clicking "More >." There was a discussion on one of the forums some time ago when another option was placed in the bottom of the last pie menu. People complained about it (I don't remember where, sorry).
I'll move it, but frankly, it's a matter of taste... There are two sub-levels or less in pies menus with More> and the Derender item is at the second sub-level, so there is no reason why someone would click thrice to try and access an non existent third sub-level, thinking they are clicking on "More>"...

Quote:
Second, a way to undo the derendering would be nice. Ctrl-Z undo would be ideal, removing them one at a time, but a button, or menu item to clear the derender list would work as well.
This is not possible (see above). The derendered object is removed (killed) altogether from the viewer objects list. The only way to get it back is to TP away to another sim and then back in. Even moving out of draw distance and coming back is not enough (must be because the server does not send twice the list of objects to the viewer).

2011-09-08 10:52:41
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
jewel wrote:
With the derender added, I was wondering if it might be possible to add an option to derender when muting someone?
No. Too dangerous (there is a reason why the muted avatars are still rendered as grey silhouettes, such as knowing where they are going (if you don't want to stay around them, for example) or simply to avoid bumping into them when you move (which could cause you troubles should they think you are doing it on purpose: bumping repeatedly into someone's avatar could be ARed and considered an harassment, especially if you muted that person !).

If *you* choose to derender a muted AV, then fine, *you* take the risks and know what you are doing, but this should in no way be an automatic feature.

Plus, derendering automatically muted objects and avatars as you come around them (or as they come around you) would mean adding more code in the object rezzing path, which would only slow down things for a feature most won't use.

Actually the way I meant this was something like a checkbox in the coolviewer settings. If it's turned on, then muting an avatar would also derender them. If off, then they remain grey.

And then, of course, there's still the manual option in the pie menu.

Another viewer had this option. Don't recall which one.

2011-09-17 15:45:18

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Thanks for the patch. The code was so messy that I had to rewrite it, but at least, it saved me from searching what parts of the code needed to be modified to implement that feature. It will be part of the next Cool VL Viewer releases, but without the double-click TP confirmation stuff (I fail to see its utility at all, since as long as you click in the pie menu, there is no risk to get a quick succession of clicks interpreted as a double-click on an in-world location).

Great addition! Is there a way to un-derender? I deal with filming inworld and sometimes it is necessary to derender then later on I may need to see that which has been derendered.

<:)

2012-02-21 23:28:59

Foxxe Wilder wrote:
Great addition! Is there a way to un-derender? I deal with filming inworld and sometimes it is necessary to derender then later on I may need to see that which has been derendered.
The reply to your question was already given in the message above...

2012-02-21 23:46:10
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Foxxe Wilder wrote:
The reply to your question was already given in the message above...

ahh I see...yes I did not see the control z reference thanks

2012-02-22 00:27:15
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2