Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 21:20:51

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Aurora Variable Regions 

Would it be possible to add support for Aurora's variable region size feature? Currently, the only viewers I know of that support this feature are Imprudence and Astra Viewer. The Astra Viewer is the only pre-v2 mesh-capable viewer that supports the variable region sizes, while Cool VL Viewer and Singularity both crash upon logging in or teleporting to a region using a nonstandard size.

Astra, however, is currently unusable because the build scripts are horribly broken, and has no prebuilt Linux binary available for download.

PS: Also, Cool VL Viewer refuses to login to any local Opensim/Aurora standalone unless I manually specify the login URI via command line. Trying to login to the standalone from the grid dropdown list always fails to work, even though.

2011-10-15 21:23:42
Profile WWW

Zauber Exonar wrote:
Would it be possible to add support for Aurora's variable region size feature? Currently, the only viewers I know of that support this feature are Imprudence and Astra Viewer. The Astra Viewer is the only pre-v2 mesh-capable viewer that supports the variable region sizes, while Cool VL Viewer and Singularity both crash upon logging in or teleporting to a region using a nonstandard size.
What is Aurora ?.... What are the grids supporting such variable region size ?... Isn't it a dead project anyway (I heard about such a feature a long time ago, but IIRC, it was abandoned by OpenSIM developers) ?

Quote:
Astra, however, is currently unusable because the build scripts are horribly broken, and has no prebuilt Linux binary available for download.
AFAIK, Astra = Singularity "future" branch...

Quote:
PS: Also, Cool VL Viewer refuses to login to any local Opensim/Aurora standalone unless I manually specify the login URI via command line. Trying to login to the standalone from the grid dropdown list always fails to work, even though.
Please, post grid list change requests in this thread, giving the parameters necessary to connect to the grid you want to see listed. However, I would only add such a grid if the viewer is compatible with it...

2011-10-16 07:50:34
Profile WWW

Aurora is a fork of OpenSim, developed by a different team. The feature I referred to, called Variable Area Region or VA Region for short, allows you to set the height and width of a sim to an arbitrary integer value, such as making a half-size region at 128x128, or a double-size region at 512x512. This, imo, is superior to OpenSim's Megaregion's feature, which combines multiple contiguous regions into a single virtual region.

I attempted to build Singularity's future branch as well, but it had the same build problems as Astra.

2011-10-16 09:58:41
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]