Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 11:48:27

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Feature request (kind of): Graphics drivers' location 

Hallo!

I spent a few months trying to understand something (yeah, I'm a bit slow) and I finally realised why I had better graphics under Ubuntu than under Debian or Arch. Long story short, is it possible that you make the viewer look for the *_dri.so files in "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/" as well as in "/usr/lib/dri/" (and lib32, for 64-bit systems)? Or should I report that to LL Jira, since the issue exists with all viewers, official and third-party?

Thanks

2011-12-20 13:02:54

This kind of problem got *nothing* to do with the viewers, but with a bad configuration of your system... The viewers cannot choose which driver they use: it's the X11 system that picks up the driver on starting and exposes it to the applications you run under X. To change what driver your computer uses, you must edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (there are usually utilities that can do that for you: see your Linux distribution manual for how to do it).

2011-12-20 18:55:55
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
This kind of problem got *nothing* to do with the viewers [...] The viewers cannot choose which driver they use: it's the X11 system that picks up the driver [...]

I thought the same, but apparently this isn't the case. As you can see at the discussion in Arch forums, OMV knew how to look for the drivers in the correct locations, perhaps because it was patched to do so --unfortunately I lack the knowledge to read the patches-- while all the other viewers didn't.

Of course that doesn't mean that it isn't a matter of properly configuring the X server. But as the matter affects two distributions (that I know of), I think it could be addressed by the viewers on their end.

2011-12-20 19:22:16

Again, this is a distribution issue. I'm not going to fix Linux distribution bugs !... Please report their bugs to Debian & Co.

I'd also suggest that you use the GPU maker's drivers (Nvidia, ATI, etc) instead of the ones bundled with distributions.

2011-12-20 22:28:40
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]