Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 16:03:35

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Feature Request: Restore to last position 

I am missing the "right click restore to last position" to rez things back in world when they have been returned to lost and found. It can be very useful at times to have this.

2011-12-25 09:52:50

Nice feature, where did you have that?

2011-12-25 11:03:25

phoenix for example has it

2011-12-25 11:20:00

This "Restore To Last Position" feature is handy. I just did an experiment, creating an object in Cool VL Viewer, taking it into Inventory, logging off from SL, logging back in with Phoenix, and finally successfully restoring the object to its last position. I don't know where SL "stores" the last position of an object in Inventory, but my experiment suggests that Cool VL Viewer certainly does store it correctly.

2012-01-19 03:28:04

The time I find the Restore To Last Position (RTLP) feature most handy is when building, especially when I want to build an object "inside" a complex pre-existing build like, for example, my rented apartment in Second Life. As I build, I can very quickly back up my work as I make changes, simply by Taking and RTLP-ing the object.

When building a stand-alone object out in the open at a sandbox, it is not such a big deal to have to keep dragging a taken object back out of Inventory, but doing so when the object has to be carefully refitted back into position every time before I can start working on it again is a bit of a pain. Recently, for example, I created a set of chunlian banners to fit round my SL front door in celebration of the Chinese New Year. It was a fiddly job because of the complex shape of the doorway arch, and I ended up logging out and logging back in with Phoenix to take advantage of the RTLP feature. That is not a complaint, incidentally; there is nothing wrong with using different tools for different jobs, but if RTLP is an easy thing to implement, it would certainly be nice to have in Cool VL Viewer.

2012-01-26 22:07:47

I've got mixed feelings about that one... It caused havoc in the past (this feature was part of v1 viewers till and including v1.23, then removed from Snowglobe v1.4 and later viewers). You can see the cons for it and the reasons why it was removed (possible inventory loss, issue with HUDs, issue when restoring in another sim, etc) in this JIRA issue.

Also, while the code is still there in the viewer (it's simply not activated), even in latest v3 viewers, it is unclear as to whether LL will keep the corresponding server side feature or not (since it's not used any more in their viewer) or replace it with a better version.

Phoenix reactivated the feature and also added a dialog for no-copy items (thus preventing most accidental inventory losses), but it still doesn't address the problems dealing with HUDs, never derezzed items (those items you got from someone else and can't know what is the last stored position in them), neither with the absence of a sim checking (the objects should only be restored in the very sim they where returned/derezzed from), all things that only a server-side change could solve...

If I were to reactivate this feature in the Cool VL Viewer, I guess I would go doing it only for items in the Lost and Found folder, and with a big warning dialog that would pop up, even for copy-ok items... I'll give it more thoughts before deciding, but any new pro or con argument is welcome.

2012-01-27 09:51:17
Profile WWW

I remember this feature helping me with accidental 'take objects' or deletes of big parts of houses to get them back just right. Those never ended up in Lost&Found.

2012-01-27 22:21:22

Moonfire wrote:
I remember this feature helping me with accidental 'take objects' or deletes of big parts of houses to get them back just right. Those never ended up in Lost&Found.
But nothing prevents you from putting such accidentally derezzed objects in Lost And Found to rerez them, should I re-enable this feature... The idea is not to have it in the context menu of other folders to avoid accidental inventory loss by people who are not aware of the many limitations and caveats of this feature...

2012-01-27 23:18:18
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Phoenix reactivated the feature and also added a dialog for no-copy items (thus preventing most accidental inventory losses), but it still doesn't address the problems dealing with HUDs, never derezzed items (those items you got from someone else and can't know what is the last stored position in them), neither with the absence of a sim checking (the objects should only be restored in the very sim they where returned/derezzed from), all things that only a server-side change could solve...
It is very responsible to consider the trouble that a feature could cause before enabling it. The question, however, is how far one should sacrifice usability for people who do understand how things work to protect people who do not. It is rather like barring carpenters from using electric saws because somebody, somewhere might accidentally cut their fingers off with one. Speaking for myself, I would rather have access to the tool and exercise due caution.

Apart from building, RTLP is very useful for managing objects within the restricted number of prims allowed in my apartment. I am only allowed to have n prims rezzed at one time. If, for example, I want to play a game of Go with a friend, first I have to Take a couple of furniture objects back into Inventory, and then rezz the goban. After the game, I Take the board into inventory, and re-rez the furniture. RTLP makes this whole process very quick and easy. Having to drag objects into Lost & Found (L&F) before restoring them would make it more awkward.

One of the main perceived problems with RTLP on all folders is the possibility of losing no-copy items. It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of losing such items even if RTLP was restricted to L&F. Essentially, one would have to drag the no-copy item into L&F in order to restore it to its previous position. Then if one took the item back into Inventory, it would go into L&F. The user would then have to remember to drag it out of L&F and into another folder to avoid the risk of losing it through thoughtlessly "clearing" L&F.

I would much prefer to have the RTLP feature enabled for objects in all folders with a warning panel for no-copy items, but I could live with having it restricted to L&F. Building without the RTLP feature available at all is painful.

2012-01-28 02:37:35
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]