Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 19:29:18

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Feature Request: some extra functionality for ease 

Here's a couple of features which I am missing when using CV.

1) When using Inventory, the ability to select a quantity of items and using Right Click having a CUT option and the subsequent Right Click PASTE for moving items in inventory. Imprudence incorporated that functionality but I am uncertain if other viewers have it. This makes moving around inventory items far safer (you don't misplace stuff by accident) that trying to drag stuff through ever opening / closing folders etc....

2) Built in AO feature such as in Imprudence, Pheonix & others. This one is self explanatory.

3) The ability to disable showing textures when uploading. It can be disabled if Jane Avatar gives you a texture but if your uploading 100's of textures, especially in batch mode, you get a screen full ... very annoying to have to close them all.

EDIT:
4) A small correction to the floaters to allow editing of Notecards & Scripts to a maximum of 64K characters as opposed to 32K charaters. Meerkat started by implementing this and Imprudence also supports this, I believe that Singularity & Pheonix also "may". This is thoroughly tested in SecondLife & OpenSim. As scripts become more complex and notecards contain more data, the editor function should be capable of handling that amount of data.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over.
WS

2012-01-17 00:03:37

WhiteStar wrote:
Here's a couple of features which I am missing when using CV.

1) When using Inventory, the ability to select a quantity of items and using Right Click having a CUT option and the subsequent Right Click PASTE for moving items in inventory. Imprudence incorporated that functionality but I am uncertain if other viewers have it. This makes moving around inventory items far safer (you don't misplace stuff by accident) that trying to drag stuff through ever opening / closing folders etc....
I had a look at this feature in Imprudence, but it is pretty poorly implemented: instead of moving the "cut" items when you "paste" them, it copies them over and deletes the original items. This got several inconveniences among which the fact that you can't move no-copy items this way, and that since new items are created, you loose the time stamps of the original items in the process (also, since the original items are entirely removed from the server instead of going to the trash like what happens for "deleted" items, in case of an asset server issue, lag, disconnection or crash of the viewer, you may well loose entirely the items when you "Paste" them)... Also, the Cut/Paste feature of Imprudence proves unable to move folders around.

In summary, I reimplemented this feature from scratch with all the bugs and shortcomings fixed (also made it compatible with inventory links). It will be in v1.26.2.15 and v1.26.3.3.

Quote:
2) Built in AO feature such as in Imprudence, Pheonix & others. This one is self explanatory.
I already said no to this feature elsewhere in this forum, for good reasons (search for the post and read them there: not going to repeat myself...). In short, a proper, scripted items compatible, viewer side AO can only rely on a server side feature (namely: per-avatar replacement of the default anims UUIDs) that is currently not available in neither SL or OpenSim.

Quote:
3) The ability to disable showing textures when uploading. It can be disabled if Jane Avatar gives you a texture but if your uploading 100's of textures, especially in batch mode, you get a screen full ... very annoying to have to close them all.
Minor feature useful only to a very small minority of users. I'll keep it in mind, but I'm currently too busy with multi-layer clothing support implementation to loose my time on this.

Quote:
EDIT:
4) A small correction to the floaters to allow editing of Notecards & Scripts to a maximum of 64K characters as opposed to 32K charaters.
This is already the case in the Cool VL Viewer !!!

2012-01-26 18:52:18
Profile WWW

Thanks Henri

I'm very happy that you made a good Cut/Paste modification for Inventory. I was not sure how other TPV's have done it and that's pretty irrelevant as I know you are most dilligent in making things just right !

I am a little disappointed with the AO issue but I certainly do understand your point, so marking that one as "ces't la vie".

re Texture Display on upload... fortunately this does not happen during XML Imports. I also agree that this is likely not an important item as such, as people don't often upload a large bulk of textures (not in SL anyways) but it is more frequently done in OpenSim. It's a simple convenience item and not that important.

Excellent on the 64K Notecard & Script. I wasn't aware that you had that in there yet.

Thanks for the excellent work & effort Henri.

2012-01-27 13:31:12

Using stable Cool VL Viewer 1.26.2.17, the new "Cut" feature has already been a good step to ease and speed up inventory management.
Here's what currently works:

Right click context menu:

---------------Copy---Cut----Paste
Files:-----OK-----OK-----OK
Folders:--FAIL---OK-----OK

Edit menu and Keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-c, ctrl-x, ctrl-v):

---------------Copy---Cut----Paste
Files:-----OK-----FAIL---OK
Folders:--FAIL---FAIL---OK

In short, two suggestions:
  • Make "Cut" feature available via Edit menu and keyboard shortcut
  • Add folder copy feature

2012-02-18 15:03:09

poochieD wrote:
In short, two suggestions:
  • Make "Cut" feature available via Edit menu and keyboard shortcut
Implemented in v1.26.2.18 & 1.26.3.7. Thanks for pointing this out as I overlooked this missing part in the code.

Quote:
  • Add folder copy feature
Implementing "Copy" for folders in non-trivial since every item in the folder and its sub-folders (including sub-folder links) must also be checked for its copy-ok status. This requires recursive code and careful checks for recursion loops (which are possible with folder links)... It's doable, but is it worth the hassle (LL apparently decided it was not) ?... I mean, most of the time, you don't copy a whole folder, but only a few items in a folder...

2012-02-22 13:37:03
Profile WWW

Henri, I just noticed while switching btween viewers that CV is missing a small thing. Mutting of Gestures inthe audio popup. The same place where you can adjust the different volume controls for voice, ui etc...

Would it be possible for you to add that extra button there to mute gestures ?

Thanks in Advance.
WS

2012-02-25 14:55:53

WhiteStar wrote:
Henri, I just noticed while switching btween viewers that CV is missing a small thing. Mutting of Gestures inthe audio popup. The same place where you can adjust the different volume controls for voice, ui etc...

Would it be possible for you to add that extra button there to mute gestures ?

Thanks in Advance.
WS
You can sound-mute the gesture owner instead. Just mute them, then once the Mute List floater opens (with the newly muted resident auto-selected), check the "Sound" check box then click the "Update" button to turn the full mute into a sound-only mute.

2012-02-25 15:21:35
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]