Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 08:02:57

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Feature Idea: AO 

Some Viewers have built in Animation Override's which while I personally never used, with some sims being restrictive on scripts that can be worn, this would be a definitive advantage since a AO in a viewer doesn't take any script time. Otherwise one would be stuck with the default animations (walks etc) during their time in said sims.

Have you ever thought of adding that to cool? I am asking for a friend who is running into this problem more and more. And in her words "forced to walk like a duck while in those sims."

-DB

2012-06-02 20:06:55

Yeah, I'm thinking this is more a necessary addition rather than an optional one given how many sims have taken to limiting the number of scripts users can wear. And attached AO's take up a bunch when the limit is 50. I think a lot of region owners are catching onto AO's not being needed to be worn and reducing their already reduced limits.
I role play some in SL and am finding although I'd love to use this viewer because my performance is THAT much better, I can't and stay within the script limits.

Sadness. Lots of sadness. :(

2012-06-16 00:48:48

I already replied this request several times in the forum: viewer side AOs are NOT the solution (and by the way, an AO only uses one script, so there's no such argument about script number limit: see also the link I give below about lag and such).

For your info, LL is perhaps going to implement a server-side AO, based on the proposal I made on the opensource-dev mailing list (Oz told me there were discussions at LL based on what I posted). Don't hold your breath, since it could take months before LL finally decides to move, but things could evolve in a not too distant future.

2012-06-16 07:45:21
Profile WWW

Ok first I did a search and didn't find it. Not sure why I searched for "AO". It might having been only two letters threw off the search? Ahh now I remember: "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: ao." (I just tried it again). So then I did look manually but did not go back to December. I also tried "animation override" but at the time didn't find anything, but I do now....strange.

As for scripts, it depends some AO's have more scripts than others (especially older ones also many people are still using or multi featured A0's of course they can switch to a lower one in low-script environment). However, with some sims it is not HOW many scripts but that you ARE wearing scripts. Some areas will just say "sorry you are wearing scripts..take them off". Others will simply eject you then with a message as to why. Not because you are wearing a lot but because you are wearing scripts. I know several people that have ran into this. Usually it is because they are trying to visit a homestead sim where the resources are more limited than a full sim.

And thanks for the info about LL possibly adding a AO server side and avoiding the whole need for a scripted (or otherwise) solution at all. I also agree not to hold ones breath, as it is unlikely to happen in the short term (if at all).

2012-06-16 14:35:06

DBDigital Epsilon wrote:
However, with some sims it is not HOW many scripts but that you ARE wearing scripts. Some areas will just say "sorry you are wearing scripts..take them off".
Really? Could you post an SURL or two please? I've never bumped into this problem in six years as a resident, and I'd be interested to see what sort of places find this necessary.

2012-06-19 23:16:08

Hello Henri,
I have this friend who loves Cool VL but if it only had a built in AO function like FS does. Is there any way to build in a AO function so he doesn't have to attach a AO HUD?

Thanks,
Geoff

2016-12-01 23:33:53

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
Hello Henri,
I have this friend who loves Cool VL but if it only had a built in AO function like FS does. Is there any way to build in a AO function so he doesn't have to attach a AO HUD?

I already replied several times to this request in the past. I merged your topic with one of the former ones (please, before posting a new topic, use the search function of the forum: a search for "override" would have given you the right pointers).

Viewer side AOs are totally deprecated now that LL implemented server-side AOs (based on a proposal I made: see the posts above and this message) and useless (they incur delays, just like the old scripted AOs did, something the new LSL AO functions are not subject to).

There will be no viewer-side AO implemented in the Cool VL Viewer. Period.

2016-12-02 08:26:36
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
Hello Henri,

I already replied several times to this request in the past. I merged your topic with one of the former ones (please, before posting a new topic, use the search function of the forum: a search for "override" would have given you the right pointers).

Viewer side AOs are totally deprecated now that LL implemented server-side AOs (based on a proposal I made: see the posts above and this message) and useless (they incur delays, just like the old scripted AOs did, something the new LSL AO functions are not subject to).

There will be no viewer-side AO implemented in the Cool VL Viewer. Period.

Well, this is all fine and dandy for people who actually use SecondLife. This however, does not help anyone who has since moved on from that grid into opensim though. I have always found the FireStorm Built-in AO to be extremely useful, as it negates any possible impact that wearing a scripted hud could have on whatever region you are on since all animations are handled through the viewer itself. Even if you disregard the technical benefits, its useful in the sense that it saves on Hud Space wich the user would otherwise need to use up to obtain a simple function wich should ideally be in the viewer in the first place. All-in-all this is a very welcomed feature that alot of people like, and I was frankly quite shocked it was never included in CoolVL. I love your viewer Henri, it performs far better than any other I have come across but it is the small things that ultimately can make a big difference.

2016-12-02 16:44:56

A SL server side AO can go so far in SL. You cant customize it and the fact that anyone on Opensim doesn't have that service. The request has nothing to do with how many scripts you are running or are not running, it has everything to do with your screen space. I wish you would reconsider.

Geoff

2016-12-02 16:55:50

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
A SL server side AO can go so far in SL. You cant customize
Of course you can ! :shock:
I'd give you the example of the Cool Collar, just to speak about things I scripted myself. But there are other AOs using the new animation overriding LSL functions and that are fully customizable.

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
it and the fact that anyone on Opensim doesn't have that service.
Korgi Silvercloud wrote:
Well, this is all fine and dandy for people who actually use SecondLife. This however, does not help anyone who has since moved on from that grid into opensim though.
It's up to OpenSim developers to implement it: it's not hard to do and I bet that it could be done in under an afternoon of coding, testing and debugging included (these are just an animation table to add to the server side data for each avatar, and a few LSL functions to implement, to give access to the anim UUID entries in that table: dead easy !).

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
The request has nothing to do with how many scripts you are running or are not running,
I never said it was an issue...

Korgi Silvercloud wrote:
I have always found the FireStorm Built-in AO to be extremely useful, as it negates any possible impact that wearing a scripted hud could have on whatever region you are on since all animations are handled through the viewer itself.
There is ZERO server side impact with the new LSL functions for animation overriding: the viewer-side AOs impact is in fact bigger since, instead of playing animations which UUID is loaded once and for all in a table of the sim server, the viewer AOs send stop (for the default anim) and start (for the overriding anim) commands to the sim server.

Korgi Silvercloud wrote:
Even if you disregard the technical benefits
There is ZERO benefit to viewer-side AOs: please DO READ FULLY the message I posted back in 2012 and which was used by LL to define their implementation (they just opted for LSL functions to redefine the default anims, instead of a viewer capability and protocol, but server-side they use the exact algorithm I described): there are actually BIG drawbacks to viewer side AOs (no cooperation with Lockmeister "seats", and "lag" due to the "ping" time between viewer and server).

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
it has everything to do with your screen space.
Korgi Silvercloud wrote:
its useful in the sense that it saves on Hud Space wich the user would otherwise need to use up to obtain a simple function
You don't need to have it in a HUD... Again, consider the Cool Collar example (i.e. the script can be placed in any worn attachment).

Korgi Silvercloud wrote:
to obtain a simple function wich should ideally be in the viewer in the first place.
I beg to differ: an AO is dependent on what your avatar "wears" (is it a human avatar ? Male or female ? A furry perhaps ? Or a quadruped ? A mermaid, a naga ?), and as such it should be changed when you change your avatar's outfit (i.e. it must belong to a scripted object in each outfit).

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
I wish you would reconsider.
There is nothing to reconsider. I'm sure you can take "no" for an answer.

2016-12-02 22:39:02
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next