Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 21:12:44

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Edit appearance 

Hello Henry,

I know it's not a Cool VL Viewer thingy but an issue with the clients in general... if you edit the shape, the client performance is really, really bad, probably because it is rendering all the shape examples in the settings list, apparently with every frame or something.

Then there is the avatar turning around thing. I often like to edit the avatar shape while posing, to perfectly fit into a dress in a certain pose. Right now I have to log into a different client like Firestorm to do that, where I can disable the avatar-going-to-T-position thingy.

And third problem in 'edit appearance' is the way too bright light that gets switched on, ignoring any light settings you currently have. Even in pitch black night it is too bright, and it totally ignores the local lights switched off, too.

Anything you can & want to change? :mrgreen:

PS: And thanks again for the new version .20!

2012-07-01 09:48:43

Tillie wrote:
Hello Henry,

I know it's not a Cool VL Viewer thingy but an issue with the clients in general... if you edit the shape, the client performance is really, really bad, probably because it is rendering all the shape examples in the settings list, apparently with every frame or something.
This is indeed not a "Cool VL Viewer thingy", because the Appearance floater only eats up 3ms per frame on my system (it's already pretty well optimized compared to other viewers), meaning, in the worst case scenario, i.e. when the frame rate is the highest (tested in a skybox at 125fps) and when 3ms more makes the biggest difference, I still get 90fps with the floater open (comparatively, at 20fps the added 3ms per frame represent a loss of only 1.2fps)... While there is (a little) room for more optimizations in this floater, I didn't yet implement them because this kind of floater is rarely used and never left open longer than strictly needed for editing a wearable (thus not impacting everyday's use of the viewer unlike, say, the chat history, the IM floater, the mini-map, the radar, etc, that are often left open during a large part of each session and that have been highly optimized already in the Cool VL Viewer). But even once fully optimized, I don't expect a large gain: it's not simply an UI issue (with the dynamic textures rendering in the preview thumbs), but also a result of how textures for each layer are composited in real time (instead of using a pre-composited baked texture) on the avatar.

Quote:
Then there is the avatar turning around thing. I often like to edit the avatar shape while posing, to perfectly fit into a dress in a certain pose. Right now I have to log into a different client like Firestorm to do that, where I can disable the avatar-going-to-T-position thingy.
I'll have a look at this, but I don't promise anything: the played animation is also used as a flag in the viewer code to determine whether the avatar is in appearance editing mode or not, so it's not trivial to change without risking unexpected side effects (especially in the viewers of avatars around yours, that could get confused about your avatar's state...).

Note also that it's not to your avatar shape to fit a dress, but to the dress to fit your avatar shape, independently from the animation being played... That's the whole point behind the "mesh deformer" idea that is currently under development...

Quote:
And third problem in 'edit appearance' is the way too bright light that gets switched on, ignoring any light settings you currently have. Even in pitch black night it is too bright, and it totally ignores the local lights switched off, too.
I don't see any "too bright" effect here... If it appears "overexposed" on your system, then it might well be due to a bad graphics driver setting (wild guess: a gamma setting that is imposed by the driver instead of letting each OpenGL application decide about it: such overrides are a very bad idea to enable in your drivers).

2012-07-01 16:17:15
Profile WWW

Ok, just checked, must have been something else that lagged the client down, works all well now, minimal fps drop.

And about the light: maybe I am just not used to local lights anymore. I have disabled them by default for taking photos.

2012-07-08 07:56:20

Today's upcoming release will also allow to disable the appearance editing animation.

2012-07-08 12:47:06
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Today's upcoming release will also allow to disable the appearance editing animation.

Yaysies, thanks! Tested, works as needed/wanted. :D

Thanks a lot!

2012-07-09 19:22:02

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot for the life of me get this to work anymore. While the appearance editing animation is still disabled while the option is checked, my avatar hops off pose stands and then gets halfway into a sitting position before the appearance editor window turns up. I tried reinstalling, using both the experimental viewer and the normal one with no luck. Just for kicks I downloaded and installed Firestorm, and it works fine in there, so it's definitely something to do with the viewer or something I've done to it...

Is anybody else also having this problem? Does your avatar stay posed on a pose stand if you right click and edit it's appearance?

2012-10-10 11:44:17

ibigfire wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I cannot for the life of me get this to work anymore. While the appearance editing animation is still disabled while the option is checked, my avatar hops off pose stands and then gets halfway into a sitting position before the appearance editor window turns up. I tried reinstalling, using both the experimental viewer and the normal one with no luck. Just for kicks I downloaded and installed Firestorm, and it works fine in there, so it's definitely something to do with the viewer or something I've done to it...

Is anybody else also having this problem? Does your avatar stay posed on a pose stand if you right click and edit it's appearance?
v3 and the Cool VL Viewer do not deal with appearance editing in the same way. Editing your appearance in the Cool VL Viewer *always* unsits you (this is because agent camera stuff is implemented differently, in the v1 way). You can only choose between playing the Edit Appearance animation or not while standing.

2012-10-10 13:14:53
Profile WWW

Ah, alright. I could've sworn I used to be able to stay on a pose stand while editing my appearance in Cool VL Viewer. But clearly I'm on hallucinogenic drugs! Thanks for the super quick feedback as always. I really appreciate it.

2012-10-11 09:50:44
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]