Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-20 02:50:40

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Features request 

A couple of requests and comments on the future of the viewer -
- I hope you will consider putting (the option for) a radar button into the lower command area.
- Many times, instead of dot-like points on my minimap I see only a single pixel line of green indicating the presence of others. Is that on purpose, or a bug? And if the last, then I apologize for putting it here rather than in that section of the forum.
- It would be helpful to me if there was something preventing the group IM window from forcing the IM window to a much larger minimum height when open.
-I think it would look much nicer if the UI background around the Sounds/Volume/Music controls was partially transparent

As a nice ending to my prodding - Thanks to this viewer, I am now able to view and peruse all things to do with the 2.0 viewer while... ACTUALLY being able to use it. In addition, CoolVL loads MILES faster for me than the previous viewer I was using.*chuckles* For that I give great thanks, Henri.

2010-05-30 06:44:23

Nyrrin wrote:
A couple of requests and comments on the future of the viewer -
- I hope you will consider putting (the option for) a radar button into the lower command area.
Please, see this message.

Quote:
- Many times, instead of dot-like points on my minimap I see only a single pixel line of green indicating the presence of others. Is that on purpose, or a bug? And if the last, then I apologize for putting it here rather than in that section of the forum.
This is in no way a bug. Because of a messaging protocol shortcoming, the viewer cannot distinguish between an avatar at 0m and an avatar above 1020m (the message carrying that info was designed when SL didn't allow to rez above 1024m, and after Havok4 was adopted, all avatars above 1020m appeared as if at 0m in the minimap).
Instead of wrongly reporting the avatars above 1020m as always below you, the Cool VL Viewer therefore marks them with a special dot (an horizontal bar). Please, see the features page.

Quote:
- It would be helpful to me if there was something preventing the group IM window from forcing the IM window to a much larger minimum height when open.
??? The IM window can be resized and will remember its last size when reopened later (including for the next viewer sessions).

Quote:
-I think it would look much nicer if the UI background around the Sounds/Volume/Music controls was partially transparent
A matter of taste, I suppose, but this will not be changed.

2010-05-30 17:48:31
Profile WWW

Radar button - Yes, I have read the information on the Radar activation. I'm still interested in their being a button for this. If you are uninterested in doing this, could you help me do it myself on my viewer?

Minimap issue - I'm not referring to it not being able to distinguish height, I'm referring to it looking like a dash "-" on my minimap instead of the small icons. I'll try to get a picture of it acting up later today.

UI Background - Could you help me do this for myself? I've tried editing things in the debug settings, but they never seem to say the way I put them upon relogging.
~~
Render Distance - For some reason, I am unable to get my viewer to go all the way down to 32m for rendering distance. Could you please add it?

Camera Problems - I find myself unable to zoom my camera out in order to get a good look at my surroundings which is very useful when trying to view an area to find good photography spots. I am assuming that in other postings of camera issues, the constraints were not turned off. That usually fixes this issue for me. What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?

Temporary Uploads - I would love to see this feature put into your viewer. Very helpful for seeing how an attempted texture for a sculpty looks while ON the sculpty and it's saved me a lot of time in the past.

A question about cache sizes - Does one's cache become unstable if it's allowed to be larger than 1000mb? If not, then I would love the option to make mine larger.

2010-05-31 10:12:59

Nyrrin wrote:
Radar button - Yes, I have read the information on the Radar activation. I'm still interested in their being a button for this. If you are uninterested in doing this, could you help me do it myself on my viewer?
You'd need to change the the panel_toolbar1.xml and/or panel_toolbar2.xml files to add a new Radar button, then to modify lltoolbar.cpp to declare the new button and add a proper callback function to toggle the radar when the button is pressed.

Quote:
Minimap issue - I'm not referring to it not being able to distinguish height, I'm referring to it looking like a dash "-" on my minimap instead of the small icons.
Err... This is precisely what I tried to explain to you... The horizontal bar/dash-like icon represents avatars at exactly 0m of altitude (unlikely event) or above 1020m of altitude. Since the actual altitude cannot be known for these avatars, the Cool VL Viewer uses this neutral icon for them instead of the "below you" icon other viewers wrongly use.

Quote:
UI Background - Could you help me do this for myself? I've tried editing things in the debug settings, but they never seem to say the way I put them upon relogging.
What do you mean by "UI background" ???

Quote:
Render Distance - For some reason, I am unable to get my viewer to go all the way down to 32m for rendering distance. Could you please add it?
No, the normal draw distance range is 64 to 512m. 32m is only temporarily used by the speed rezzing feature but is not user-selectable since it's way too low for practical, normal use.

Quote:
Camera Problems - I find myself unable to zoom my camera out in order to get a good look at my surroundings which is very useful when trying to view an area to find good photography spots. I am assuming that in other postings of camera issues, the constraints were not turned off. That usually fixes this issue for me. What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?
There is nothing to fix... Make sure your draw distance is set at 256m or more and use the "Disable Camera Constraints" setting in the Advanced menu of the viewer (use CTRL ALT D to make that menu appear if it's not yet present in your menu bar).

Quote:
Temporary Uploads - I would love to see this feature put into your viewer. Very helpful for seeing how an attempted texture for a sculpty looks while ON the sculpty and it's saved me a lot of time in the past.
Please, see this message.

Quote:
A question about cache sizes - Does one's cache become unstable if it's allowed to be larger than 1000mb? If not, then I would love the option to make mine larger.
A larger cache won't make much difference in rezzing speed and would only make the viewer consume more memory.

2010-05-31 18:10:56
Profile WWW

For draw distance, you can use the debug setting renderFarClip, which lets you set the draw distance to whatever you want. I set it to over 1024m once to take a snapshot from the top of a tower that was at least a kilometer tall.

2010-06-01 02:47:00
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Nyrrin wrote:
??? The IM window can be resized and will remember its last size when reopened later (including for the next viewer sessions).

What Nyrrin is referring to is the fact that any time a group IM starts, if your IM window is shrunk to the minimum possible, so as to only display 4 lines of messaging, it gets resized to a larger area and can only be made so small. This is annoying as hell. It should stay the size it was set to. If we WANT to resize it, we will. As I recall, Nicholaz Beresford had already fixed this issue in the last version of his viewer that he ever published. Unfortunately, even Emerald has this problem. Someone should fix it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this actually should be in Bug Reports rather than a feature request in General.

2010-08-19 13:32:37

I just tried and the IM window is not resized on opening a new IM session after receiving a new IM, even when I resize it to the smallest possible size... Could you please provide screen shots ("before" and "after") as well as the version of the viewer ?

2010-08-19 17:40:20
Profile WWW

It's not when YOU open one. It's when a group IM starts from elsewhere. Or even a conference. It automatically resizes the window from its shortest height to taller.

EDIT: I don't have a linux box to test that viewer's behavior. I'm only talking about Windows.

2010-08-20 01:37:38

This is what I tested: no problem here: please provide the info I requested. Linux or Windows makes no difference (same code).

2010-08-20 07:39:42
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
This is what I tested: no problem here: please provide the info I requested. Linux or Windows makes no difference (same code).

I've noticed the behavior as well, it will happen every time the following steps occur, but I've always assumed it was in the Linden code. I never run the stock viewer, but will be glad to if you'd like me to check for the bug there.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Begin an IM session with another avatar. It can be started by either avatar.
2. Make the window as short as possible (showing only four lines of text).
3. Receive a group IM or a conference IM. (The window expands as soon as the message is received, there is no need to switch to the new tab.)

I have attached screenshots following step 2 (IM_Window_Pre_IM.png) and step 3 (IM_Window_Post_IM.png).
(NB: I added some text after step 1 to clear out old private messages so they would remain private.)

My current system, running Debian testing:
(It happened on my older computer as well--Linux 64/core duo/nVidia 8800).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool VL Viewer 1.23.5 (22) Jul 14 2010 16:04:59 (Cool VL Viewer)
RestrainedLove viewer v1.23b (Cool VL Viewer v1.23.5)
Release Notes

Built with GCC version 40102

You are at 147514.7, 279848.6, 1500.3 in Connemara located at sim3805.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.14.6:13002)
Second Life Server 1.42.0.208314
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 12038 MB
OS Version: Linux 2.6.32-3-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 24 18:07:42 UTC 2010 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 470/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 195.36.24

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.16.4 OpenSSL/0.9.7c zlib/1.2.3.4 c-ares/1.4.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
LLMozLib Version: [LLMediaImplLLMozLib] - 2.01.35017 (Mozilla GRE version 1.8.1.18_0000000000)
Packets Lost: 111/35718 (0.3%)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited to add images that are small enough to upload.

Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot immediately after conference IM was received.
IM_Window_Post_Conf.jpg
IM_Window_Post_Conf.jpg [ 47.61 KiB | Viewed 3379 times ]
File comment: Screenshot before conference IM
IM_Window_Pre_Conf.jpg
IM_Window_Pre_Conf.jpg [ 40.94 KiB | Viewed 3379 times ]
2010-08-20 23:36:42
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next