Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 20:29:35

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Discussion about the Cool VL Viewer roadmap 

Please, post here about anything dealing with the Cool VL Viewer roadmap.

:)

2010-05-04 09:34:07
Profile WWW

Well, for what it's worth, I like the roadmap! I really like the idea of keeping the "old" interface when you do version 2.xxxx or whatever it will be. I hope it can be done without causing you too much pain!

Thanks for all your efforts!

Oh and thanks to Hyang for compiling the Mac version!

2010-05-14 15:36:43

hmmm.... 2.x gets more and more interesting features that maybe should be backported...
now there's multiple attachments per point, and its native, not just a little tweak to add another layer of single use attach points...

2010-06-29 07:49:33
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
hmmm.... 2.x gets more and more interesting features that maybe should be backported...
now there's multiple attachments per point, and its native, not just a little tweak to add another layer of single use attach points...
Like I wrote in the roadmap, "I will continue to backport to v1.23 some of the features implemented in the v2.0 official viewer". Whether the multiple attachments per point will be backported or not will depend on how many changes to the code is needed. For example, it is unlikely that multiple wearable layers will be implemented because the required changes are so many that it's mean rewriting a very significant amount of code to make it compatible with the backported code of v2.0. I didn't yet have a look at the multiple attachments per point feature (since it is not yet enabled, server side), so I can't tell for sure if it's doable or not (but I can foresee some issues with RestrainedLove support that will probably require Marine to expand the RestrainedLove specifications first).

For now, I'm finishing up the first v1.24 (experimental) release of the Cool VL Viewer (all patches and features from v1.23 have already been integrated, and I'm currently dealing with some of the Snowglobe specific glitches and bugs). Then, I'll work on the inventory links backport (it's not trivial but it is doable and I already did part of the job but had to interrupt it a couple of months ago to tend to RL).

2010-07-01 07:45:20
Profile WWW

Are there any viewers of Cool VL that are similar to the LL 2.0? media screen compatibility and the look of side panels?

2010-09-04 16:25:29

Nope and never... While I will eventually move to the viewer 2 code base, the UI will be reverted as much as possible to the look and feel of viewer 1. Please, see the roadmap.

2010-09-04 16:39:39
Profile WWW

got any specific plans for that by now?

Display names, while loatheworthy, will be upon us soon, and mesh as well...

and while no support for display names is only a cosmetic lack, no mesh is not... see these screenshots... http://www.kirstensviewer.com/Blog/66.html

2010-10-29 08:43:33
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
got any specific plans for that by now?
The plan has not changed and the roadmap is for now still valid.

Support for v1.19.2 will be dropped today.

v1.23.5 will become deprecated as soon as I am satisfied with v1.25.0 (and it's getting very close, with today's release).

The time saved by dropping support for v1.23.5 will be used to either port mesh support to v1.25, or to start and develop a v2 branch of the Cool VL Viewer, whichever will be easier to do.

Quote:
Display names, while loatheworthy, will be upon us soon
This shall prove an easy backport, *much* easier than what I already did with Alpha and Tattoo support, inventory item links support, and multiple-attachments support...

Quote:
and mesh as well...
Mesh support will indeed be what will decide whether a move to the v2 code base is required or not. But it might prove easier to backport it to v1.25 than to redo the whole UI in v2 to match the Cool VL Viewer v1.25 look and feel... In the latter case, the move to the v2 code base will only be partial, i.e., I'll progressively move everything not UI-related to the v2 code, but will keep all the UI code (llui library, all llfloater* and llpanel* files, etc) "as is", which should make keeping up with the future v2 versions easier (at this point however, I would have to right out fork the v1.25 code base and will not anymore provide individual patches for each new feature, since the changes to the code would become too deep to produce mutually compatible and independent patches).

2010-10-29 09:53:50
Profile WWW

ok, just to fan the flames a bit, how about the scripts info part of "about land" from 2.0?
and how about multiple texture layers complete with the UI adaptions to be able to move them up and down on their respective layer?

2010-10-29 13:48:26
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
ok, just to fan the flames a bit, how about the scripts info part of "about land" from 2.0?
This tool is for now completely useless and actually misleading, since it reports a fixed amount of memory used per script, whatever is the actual memory usage for each script, and does not give you any clue about the actual processing power usage of each script on the server. As long that the new script function allowing Mono scripts to limit their own max memory pool is not implemented, this tool is more harmful than useful (since any LSL2 script is reported to use 4 times less memory than an equivalent Mono script while actually using more server side processing power and memory (i.e. a fixed amount of 16Kb for any LSL2 script)).
Quote:
and how about multiple texture layers complete with the UI adaptions to be able to move them up and down on their respective layer?
Either another TPV will implement it (and I'll reuse their code in the Cool VL Viewer; I think the Imprudence team said they would do it), or it will be ported together with the move to v2 code (either as a native feature if I do move to v2 entirely, or in the process of the progressive move to v2 non-UI code if I stick with v1.25).
The reason I don't want to work on this particular feature right now is that:
  • I have personally no use for it and everyone can do without it.
  • Its absence is not harming the compatibility of the Cool VL Viewer with the grid.
  • More useful features need to be worked on to keep on par with v2 viewers (such as meshes, or even the display names (even if I hate it, it will be needed)).

2010-10-29 14:05:53
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next