Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 20:19:32

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Inventory item links support 

Once more, the Cool VL Viewer is the first third parties (non v2-based) viewer to provide backported features from viewer 2. After the Alpha and Tattoo wearables support, the Cool VL Viewer (from v1.23.5.24 and v1.25.0.1 onwards) now implements inventory item links support.

However, the implementation has been adapted to the v1.2x UI and inventory structure (do not expect links to appear automatically in a My Outfits system folder, for example: the Cool VL Viewer will never clutter your inventory like viewer 2 does...), and it actually allows more things than in viewer 2.

Here is how it works:

• You may create an arbitrary number of links to objects, wearables (clothes and body parts) and gestures, whatever are their permissions (i.e. you can also create links to no-copy items). This is done by right clicking on the item you want to link to, choosing "Copy", then right clicking in the folder where you want to create the link and choosing "Paste as link". You may also select a bunch of linkable items at once, "Copy" the bunch, and "Paste as Link" the whole bunch.
  • You may "Wear" links to objects and wearables, "Attach to"/"Attach to HUD" links to objects, and "Activate"/"Deactivate" links to gestures. Links behave like the item they are linked to when double-clicking on them (i.e. you may Wear/Remove with a double-click on links to objects and wearables, and open the gesture editor with a double-click on links to a gesture); this is also true when dealing with the "Add to outfit" and "Take off Items" actions of the context menu for the folder they are contained in.
  • You can always delete links (even when they correspond to "worn" items, since the latter will stay worn even after the link is removed).
  • When you make a new outfit (via the Appearance menu, "Make outfit" button), links are automatically created into the new outfit folder for no-copy items instead of moving the latter to the new outfit folder (however, see the quirks below about attachments).
  • All links show by default in the inventory "All Items" tab, but they won't show into the "Recent Items" and "Worn Items" inventory tabs, neither in the "All Items" tab whenever a filter is used (i.e. when you filter by item type, by date, and by part name, description or creator matching). This is done so that only relevant search/filter results are shown and to avoid the clutter of multiple links pointing to an already listed object.

Now for a couple of quirks that may or may not be fixable in the future: (EDIT: both quirks fixed, see the posts below)

• When making a new outfit from the Edit Appearance menu, the items composing the outfit should not be moved any more from their original location in your inventory (since copy-ok items are copied to the new folder and no-copy items got a link created in the new folder for them). Alas, for the attachments, and because SL permissions system is borked, the viewer (and asset server) and the sim server do not always agree about the copy-ok status of an attached object. This is because the viewer (and asset server) only rely on the permissions set on the object itself, while the sim server also looks for the objects contents and filters out the container permissions when it finds a conflict. For example, a copy-ok object given to you could nonetheless contain a no-copy script. You can copy the object while it is kept in your inventory, but as soon as you rez it, it becomes no-copy (because of the no-copy script inside it). Since attached objects are rezzed, an attachment may appear as copy-ok in your inventory (because the sim server cannot change the permissions, name or description held in the asset server for an attached item) while it is no-copy in the sim server. Because the "Make new outfit" function uses a server-side function for attachments, this is the sim server which decides whether the object should be copied and the copy attached on the avatar, or moved to the new outfit folder (for no-copy attachments), and since the viewer doesn't know whether a copy-ok object actually contains a no-copy item or not, there is no way to decide whether the server side function should be called or rather a link be created for the (apparently copy-ok) attachments.
    To summarize: you may still have (supposedly) copy-ok objects moved to the new outfit folder whenever you make a new outfit. I may add an option later to let you choose to always create links for attachments, even for copy-ok ones, when making a new outfit.
  • With one of my alts (that I sometimes use to test the ugly v2 viewer), I noticed that sometimes after login with the Cool VL Viewer v1.23, some links are listed as broken in the inventory window. I'm unsure as to why this happens (this alt's inventory might actually be borked...). The work around is to open a second inventory window (File->New Window) and to close the first. The links then appear just fine for the rest of the session. If you encounter this quirk, please let me know (and also let me know if you used the viewer 2 or not with the avatar you get the quirk with...).

Of course, I expect some more quirks to show up with inventory links, but I so far did not find any dangerous bug, thus why I'm releasing it today, hoping to improve it further later, based on your feedback: feel free to post here about it ! :)

2010-08-14 18:34:31
Profile WWW

I solved the first quirk described in the above post and also another (OpenSim incompatibility when making a new outfit), by implementing two options in the "Make New Outfit" floater:
  • the first one is "Use links for no-copy items" and is to be checked whenever you want to use inventory links. Keep it unchecked in OpenSim, since for now inventory links are not supported and there is alas no way for the viewer to discover this (no capability defined in SL for inventory links support), or when you want to use the old way of creating new outfits (i.e. by moving no-copy items into the new outfit folder).
  • the second one is "Also link copy-ok attachments". It is only available if the above option is checked. When "Also link copy-ok attachments" is also checked, then links are created into the new outfit folder for all attachments, preventing any apparently copy-ok but actually no-copy-once-rezzed attachments to be moved into the new folder (work around for the first quirk I described in the above post).

2010-08-29 12:56:48
Profile WWW

I downloaded Cool VL for the first time in a few months and got a chance to play with it a bit and, as always - you rock at being on the cutting edge with things. I couldn't replicate the weirdness you described above with the corrupt inventory at all - so I suspect you are right in your guess that it is corrupt inventory.

I tinkered with a lot of the different aspects of all this and it all worked beautifully except for RLV has trouble with links to objects. I suppose this is to be expected though. RLV works fine with it in the RLV folder for normal layers and whatnot. But objects (whether they are named correctly, or whether they are in the .(slotname) folder) do not work. I think this is probably a fix that needs to come from RLV maybe. I do see that shortcuts do get the right icons, so maybe there is something in there that can be done on the other end. <shrug> I don't know. I just wanted to pass this along as a sort of FYI - and to let you know that your code ROCKS!

2010-09-06 19:15:36

Yes, there were some changes needed for full inventory item links support in RestrainedLove. This has been implemented in RestrainedLove v1.23f (to be released with the next Cool VL Viewer releases).

Also, I definitely solved the first quirk, by getting rid of the problematic sim server side function for copying worn attachments (a function that viewer 2 doesn't use any more either), and doing the whole copy/move stuff with viewer and asset server requests instead. More on this at the next Cool VL Viewer release.

2010-09-07 10:58:24
Profile WWW

The fix to the first quick and the support of inventory links in RestrainedLove have been released with Cool VL Viewer v1.23.5.28 and v1.25.0.5.

The solution to the quirk was simply not to use at all the sim server side function and now, when creating a new outfit, the attachments either:
  • got a link created into the new outfit folder when the attachment is no-copy and "Use links for no-copy items" is checked, or moved from its original folder to the new outfit folder (same as old behaviour encountered in v1 viewers) when "Use links for no-copy items" is unchecked.
  • get moved to the new outfit folder and a copy created in the original folder for copy-ok attachments (also same as old behaviour encountered in v1 viewers).
Since the sim server is not involved anymore, any attachment listed as copy-ok in your inventory is copyable by the "Make new outfit" feature (i.e. even when the attachment contains no-copy assets), and when using links, you are now guaranteed that no item will be permanently moved to the new outfit folder.

The "Also link copy-ok attachments" check box (that was implemented to work around the server side function quirk) has been removed. The reason is that it is always best to create copies of your items than to use links to copy-ok items, since should one copy get corrupted in your inventory, you can still use the second copy. You may however manually create links to any copy-ok item (might be useful for a scripted item you wear with all your outfits and that needs to have its scripts states always up to date whatever the outfit you are wearing).

2010-09-09 20:34:31
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
[...] I noticed that sometimes after login with the Cool VL Viewer v1.23, some links are listed as broken in the inventory window. I'm unsure as to why this happens (this alt's inventory might actually be borked...). [...] If you encounter this quirk, please let me know (and also let me know if you used the viewer 2 or not with the avatar you get the quirk with...).

I definitely can confirm this issue. And the last time I have used viewer 2 was waaaaaaaay back (definitely months ago, long before Cool VL Viewer got support for links). I have, however, used it -- [speculation]maybe having done so permanently changes something in LL's inventory handling for an AV?[/speculation]

For what it's worth, this is on Cool VL Viewer 1.23.5 (28) on Ubuntu 10.04.

So far I have not really observed it properly to see if there are any specific conditions that will trigger this. The gut feeling so far is that it may have to do with a link being 'worn' at logoff, but of course gut feelings aren't hard evidence. I'll keep you posted on any findings I might come up with.

Thank you and best wishes,

Lia

2010-09-17 13:51:41

I found the reason for this bug (it's an inventory cache problem: I overlooked the changes necessary to the caching when I made the backport). Sometimes, it may happen that a link item is cached, but not the item it is linked to. The new caching code detects this condition and discards the deprecated cached data.

The fix will be part of the next Cool VL Viewer releases.

2010-09-17 20:07:10
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
I found the reason for this bug (it's an inventory cache problem: I overlooked the changes necessary to the caching when I made the backport). Sometimes, it may happen that a link item is cached, but not the item it is linked to. The new caching code detects this condition and discards the deprecated cached data.

The fix will be part of the next Cool VL Viewer releases.

Ok, usually this would be the point where I should ask you if you will marry me and if I can have your baby, but being proper as I am, I'll refrain. :lol:

Once again thank you Henri for your continued dedication to bring us the best viewer possible!

Best wishes,

Lia

2010-09-18 04:51:12

Fix to the last glitch published in today's releases (Cool VL Viewer v1.23.5.29 and 1.25.0.6). Enjoy ! :)

2010-09-18 17:47:48
Profile WWW

Since OpenSim doesn't yet implement inventory links, starting with the Cool VL Viewer v1.25.0.15, this feature is disabled by default for OpenSim grids: this way, the irrelevant menu options ("Paste as Link" in the inventory context menu and "Use links for no-copy items" in the make new outfit floater) are disabled.
So to anticipate future support in OpenSim grids, you may still re-enable inventory links support in the viewer for them, by using the new OSAllowInventoryLinks debug variable and setting it to TRUE.

2010-11-28 11:17:56
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next