Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 22:04:46

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Multiple Attachments - InWorldz/Opensim issue 

I logged in with Cool VL Viewer to assist Tranquility with testing on the InWorldz beta server a little bit ago, and when I tried to wear an avatar folder, all of the attachments tried to attach themselves to my avatar's chest, rather than their normal location. I'm guessing this is from the multiple attachments feature of Second Life, which to my knowledge is not supported under InWorldz or OpenSim.

Would it be possible to add a way to disable this feature on opensim grids, if there isn't already? As well, a debug variable to turn it back on with opensim, for when the feature becomes supported.

PS: InWorldz is misspelled in the grid selector.

2010-11-22 02:12:07
Profile WWW

Zauber Exonar wrote:
I logged in with Cool VL Viewer to assist Tranquility with testing on the InWorldz beta server a little bit ago, and when I tried to wear an avatar folder, all of the attachments tried to attach themselves to my avatar's chest, rather than their normal location. I'm guessing this is from the multiple attachments feature of Second Life, which to my knowledge is not supported under InWorldz or OpenSim.
I need the SecondLife.log... Please, read and follow the rules for this forum.

Quote:
Would it be possible to add a way to disable this feature on opensim grids, if there isn't already? As well, a debug variable to turn it back on with opensim, for when the feature becomes supported.
The only difference I can think of with the new code is that when the viewer receives a request to attach an object on an invalid point, it attaches it on the chest instead of refusing to attach it at all: it could be the sign that the OpenSim server sends a buggy attachment request, but this hypothesis cannot be confirmed without the viewer log and some investigations based on it.

Quote:
PS: InWorldz is misspelled in the grid selector.
Nope, not any more... It was spelled as Inworlz till v1.25.12, but was corrected to Inworldz in v1.25.13. Please, update.

2010-11-22 09:09:30
Profile WWW

I've supplied the logs. I took a quick glance, and I did see an error message about attachment points. A little further testing showed that this only occurs when using the "Replace Outfit" or "Add to Outfit" actions on folders. I also tested with Imprudence, which this bug did not occur on. Both these tests occurred on the InWorldz beta server, which is using some new networking. I tested again on the InWorldz main grid and on ReactionGrid, and the bug occurred both both times.

EDIT: I'm sending you a couple of avatars at InWorldz so that you have something to test with if you do so over there.

Attachments:
logs.tar.gz [47.27 KiB]
Downloaded 215 times
2010-11-22 16:11:44
Profile WWW

I identified the problem: it's because of the special meaning that "0" got for an attachment point (the meaning being: "use default attachment point"), and the fact that OpenSim servers consider "128" (which is the value for the ATTACHMENT_ADD flag used in SL for multiple attachments) just like another attachment point number (so, when the OpenSim Server receives "128", which would mean "Add to default attachment point" in SL, it understands "Replace attachment on point 128").

I already pointed out in the opensource-devel list that the viewers need a way to figure out whether the grid they connect to implements multiple attachments (and/or inventory links) or not: see this message. Alas, there was no reaction from LL.. It would perhaps be time that OpenSim developers give us, viewer developers, a way to identify OpenSim multiple attachments and inventory links (future) support (if you have any say in OpenSim development, or are in contact with OpenSim developers, please feel free to pass this thought and wish of mine).

In the mean time, I implemented a manual workaround: by default, both multiple attachments and inventory links are disabled in the Cool VL Viewer (v1.25.0.15 onwards) when logged in on an OpenSim grid, unless the corresponding debug variables (OSAllowMultipleAttachments and OSAllowInventoryLinks) are set to TRUE...

Please, try this binary (untar it in your installation for the Cool VL Viewer v1.25.0.14) and tell me if it solves all the issues for you. Note that the first time you will log in with the new version, you might have attachments rezzing around your avatar but not being marked as attached in the inventory and you will have to "detach" them by right-clicking on them in-world and selecting "Detach" from the pie menu: this is because the viewer (when in OpenSim and OSAllowMultipleAttachments is FALSE) and the server don't agree about the attached status. This status is synced again after the first login (and provided you synced things manually as described above before logging out).

2010-11-24 13:38:14
Profile WWW

And it worked! Also, I'll pass the info you gave me over to the grid dev at InWorldz.

2010-11-24 15:40:53
Profile WWW

The workaround has been implemented for today's release (v1.25.0.15).

2010-11-28 10:56:43
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]