The Cool VL Viewer is capable of using "static" UI sounds instead of UI sounds downloaded from the grid asset server. This has several advantages:
- Static UI sounds play without delay (they do not require a first download, and they are pre-decoded).
- Static UI sounds can play at the login screen (i.e. before the viewer connects to the grid).
- Static UI sounds prevent the UI sounds mix encountered when you log in different grids (since non-static UI sounds are stored in the viewer cache (VFS file) and are different in SL and OpenSim grids but yet share the same UUID, you can get a mix of them when you log in various grids).
Alas, Linden Lab does not allow TPV developers to distribute SL's default UI sounds together with their viewer (this is pretty stupid, since they allow to distribute all the other UI components, such as the icons... but LL does a lot of stupid things, alas !).
So, to take benefit from the static UI sounds feature of the viewer, you will have to install them yourself via the following procedure...
Proceed as follow:
- Log in and in the "Advanced" -> "Caches" menu, select the "Clear VFS Cache (after restart)" entry: this is only required to get rid of the sounds that have have been cached in the saved VFS.
- Log off/close the viewer and launch it again/log into SL.
- Make sure the master audio and UI audio are not muted and their level set so that UI sounds are audible (else they won't play at all and therefore won't get decoded).
- Go to the "Advanced" -> "User Interface" menu, and choose "Decode all UI sounds". You should hear all the UI sounds playing in sequence.
- Once all UI sounds have been heard (this may take a few seconds for the viewer to download them all), still in the "Advanced" -> "User Interface" menu, click the "Save decoded UI sounds" entry.
Done ! From now on, the Cool VL Viewer will use the (now static) decoded sound files present in the user_settings/ui_sounds/ directory instead of fetching them from the asset server of the grid you are connected to.