Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 08:47:35

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Weird behaviour when editing linked part of attachment 

Hello all,

I'm getting a strange behaviour of the latest Mac CVLV when I edit a prim attachment with several parts and check the 'Edit linked parts' box. I can select the various parts, move, spin or change their size without problem, but the only feedback I'm getting is via the outline displayed on the edited part (the shiny blue or yellow lines), and not on the part itself. The part itself ends up being modified, but only when I end the editing by closing the box.
Does anyone see the same behaviour or is there something wrong with me? Not really a serious issue if it is one, but it is a bit annoying…

Thanks!
- Erika -

2012-01-13 12:57:01

Not seeing anything "weird" here (editing is the same as it always has been...), but I'm not quite sure of what you mean... Care to give a link to a screen shot ?

2012-01-13 13:16:15
Profile WWW

OK, my bad, that'll teach me not to test before posting… The problem does happen, but not always. I've succeeded to reproduce it systematically with an attachment consisting in 2 flexi prims. It seems to be the flexi feature that triggers it.
Here is what I did:
  • I created a box and shaped it like a band.
  • I made the band flexi, then duplicated it.
  • I selected both bands, then linked them.
  • I took back the full thing into my inventory.
  • I attached it to my spine.
  • I edited it, then checked the 'Edit linked part' box.
  • I selected one of the flexi parts and moved it down.
I'm attaching the snapshot of the results, as you requested. As you can see, the prim outline has moved, but not the prim itself. If I close the edit box, the prim does move though.

Never seen a problem like this before. As I said, nothing really serious, the prim does move and you can still more or less see what you're doing…

Thanks!
- Erika -

Attachments:
edit-linked-parts-pb.jpg
edit-linked-parts-pb.jpg [ 43.12 KiB | Viewed 3011 times ]
2012-01-16 08:45:53

Ah... These are flexi prims, right ?... Well, this is not specific to the Cool VL Viewer... Flexi prims can't be updated as you move them with the edit tools: they only are after you select another prim. That's because how they are rendered. Annoying, I know.

2012-01-16 09:38:31
Profile WWW

I can reproduce this with v1.26.3.1 on Windows7.

And it's even worse than what you describe Erika. You don't even need to attach the object to your avatar. It even happens when you try to edit an unattached object.

Easiest way to reproduce: Create a prim (I made a cube). Set it to flexi. Try to change its size by changing the number in any of the the "Size" fields (don't forget to press Enter). The size-change won't show until you exit Edit-Mode.

Only seems to happen with objects/prims that are flexi.

Oh... another thing... if you zoom in/out considerably while editing, it suddenly displays correctly too. I guess it gets redisplayed when the zoom is big enough to change the LOD.

Henri... i saw your reply while I was writing this... and I think this worked previously. I remember building a flexi-skirt about 9 months ago and back then this used to work. Not sure if the moving worked - as that is still working if the flexi-prims are unlinked - but I think that on resizing it used to display correctly. Is it possibly that the mesh-viewer code from LL introduced this bug?

Anyway, the zoom in/out is a useable workaround. :)

Henri, as the LOD-change seems to trigger the redisplay, is it possible to add code to the Edit-Mode that automatically triggers this as one moves a prim or changes its size?

2012-01-16 09:55:07

Thanks Henri and Nicolette. :)
Nicolette: I figured out the problem on flexi skirts, that's why I tested only on attached items.
Henri: I'm almost sure it's the first time I notice the problem. And I have a lot of flexi skirts ;) and I'm certain I already did edit a few parts in these with other viewers. So maybe it's just a fix that you didn't backport to CVLV?

Well, anyway, no big deal really… Not so annoying and I guess one doesn't edit flexi prim parts that often anyway.

Thanks again!
- Erika -

2012-01-16 13:18:42

I tried this and got the same behaviour as well as noticed another oddity. When edit linked parts is checked and I edit the root prim, both flexis move while editing. After closing the edit floater, the child prim may or may not snap to it's old location, but did appear correctly after the object is clicked on and did not actually move. This is on Linux 1.26.3.1.

I have a number of older versions loaded and will see if I can find when this behaviour was introduced and post back as soon as I get back. I'll add my system info too ... gotta run now sorry for the incomplete post.

2012-01-16 17:30:14

Ibrew Meads wrote:
I tried this and got the same behaviour as well as noticed another oddity. When edit linked parts is checked and I edit the root prim, both flexis move while editing. After closing the edit floater, the child prim may or may not snap to it's old location
This is not a viewer-related issue: sometimes, the sever simply doesn't accept the editing, because of lag, and then the prim "snaps" back to its former location/rotation/size/whatever.

2012-01-16 19:35:16
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Ibrew Meads wrote:
I tried this and got the same behaviour as well as noticed another oddity. When edit linked parts is checked and I edit the root prim, both flexis move while editing. After closing the edit floater, the child prim may or may not snap to it's old location
This is not a viewer-related issue: sometimes, the sever simply doesn't accept the editing, because of lag, and then the prim "snaps" back to its former location/rotation/size/whatever.

Oops, my bad; I mis-typed. I meant to say it snaps to it's *proper* location. So the viewer is moving it (when it's not the selected root prim), and leaving it in shown in the wrong position until the object is clicked on.

For the following I only checked with rezzed prims, not attachments:

I ran an older version of CVL (1.26.1.9) and it exhibits the same behavior so it's not a new bug and apparently rarely encountered.

I then ran a much older version of Cool CVL (1.23.5.13) and it works properly. The slected prims move as expected no matter if they are the root or child prim.

I tried with an in between version (1.25.0.27) and it also works properly. I'll try to regenerate some of the other in between versions and see when the bug was introduced. Those were all I had on disc and ready to run.

2012-01-16 22:27:57

Again, this issue is related to the v2.6 mesh renderer (v1.23, 1.24, 1.25 and v1.26.0 should not be affected). It is not specific to the Cool VL Viewer. Perhaps is it fixed in viewer 3.2 (I didn't check), and if it is, it will also get fixed when LL will manage to provide a renderer that works properly with both old and new OpenGL drivers (which is not the case with v3.x for now), at which point I'll update the Cool VL Viewer renderer.

2012-01-16 23:11:42
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next