Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 09:28:49

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
64Bit today in 2012. 

(i split this from the original tread "http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=724 "
ppl dont see me, just prims when i am using cool" because this no loger has to do much with the original subject)

Well Henry, i remember your posting back in 2009:

Code:
The reasons are:

There is no speed gain at all over a 32 bits binary.
    Some things (such as sound and streaming) do not work properly with a 64 bits viewer.
    Linden Lab does not support 64 bits builds, meaning there are probably a quite few things to sort out in the code in order to get a stable 64 bits build, and I have no time to invest in this.
    The 32 bits builds of the viewer run just fine on 64 bits systems, provided the proper compatibility 32 bits libraries are installed.
    I myself renounced to use 64 bits Linux, given the number of software pieces which are still not working properly on such a system and the very disputable benefits of 64 bits systems over 32 bits ones (for example, some processors, such as Intel's Core2 quads, can be even slower in 64 bits mode, in certain conditions).

"No speed gain..." yes, its true, i admit, in some cases 32 bit even can be faster.

"Some things do not work with 64 bit viewer", well, thats why i am asking here and maybe hear the opinion of others

"Linden Lab does not support 64 bit", ugh, yes, true, shame on LL, everyone is focusing on 64bit today, including the software company i work for.

"The 32 bit build of the viewer run just fine on 64 Bit", SORRY NO!!! It does not work well at all, there are so many issues now when you run 32 Bit software in 64 bit environment and this issues might even grow.

"I myself renounced...." well, this changed, more and more pieces of software do work verry well now with 64Bit, when i started using 64 Bit distros some things still have been a PAIN IN THE ASS but work smothly now, just this viewer still did not arrive in the future and never will if nobody out of the comunity will start it.

Using 32Bit PAE is no alternative for serious users who have lots of ram (i do have 16GB) and do run KVM for having some virtual machines. Who need 64Bit for serious reasons.

Did you really ever tried to use Cool 32 Bit in a 64 Bit environment yourself this days? Using any of ubuntu 8.04-11.10 including Mint 12? I tried them ALL and no combo ever worked like it should, allways issues with sound and video streams.

In the beginning with ubuntu 8.04 i just crashed if somewhere on the sim a TV device was playing a stream, no matter if i was 1 or 4096m away from it, it was a reliable way to kick me from the sim...

Today at least i dont crash anymore, but sound still stutters and no video is playing.

So 32 Bit in 64 Bit environment does not work well at all BUT my 64 Bit viewer almost works like a charm!

i can play sound
i can see videos
i can use inworld web-search
i can see inworld html content

so today the 64Bit viewer works WAY better then a 32 Bit viewer on modern OS!

And if you look around in some foren, i am not alone with this.

Its just a little remaining issue that a few ppl can not render the AV data this viewer provides to them so it cant be such a big thing to remain this little remaining issue. (well, i know little things can be a pain in the ass to fix)

You might say, well, thats their problem and tell me "i dont support 64Bit at all. Period"

I feel yu do cool viewer because its a matter close to your heart, i really like the viewer and the work you do, i confessed severall users to toss away their phoenix or what ever and switch to cool, but is it really true, that 2012 you dont want to think at all about 64Bit? With all the issues 32Bit start to have now?

But well, as said, i am happy to provide you logs about all the 32Bit issues this Viewer has where you say it does not have them if having a smoth working 32 Bit viewer is a matter close to your heart.

Well, what do the others think? Is it really just me and you having this oposite different ideas about this?

Am i really alone with my problems?
Am i really the only one who wants to see a native 64 Bit viewer this days?

If i am really the only one, ok, ignore me, but if there are others you should start thinking... So lets see what others say.

2012-04-17 19:47:03

Just my 2L$: Sure, it'd be nice having a real 64bit viewer. Imprudence/Kokua are and also OpenMetaverse Viewer (though it is discontinued) and they work fine. However, you can't bully anyone into making one.

Secondly, 32-bit viewers equipped with the proper compatibility libraries work just finely. I've tried it in Ubuntu and Arch, and I had no problem whatsoever. So I really think you are overreacting with this.

2012-04-17 20:17:08

Well, what packages did you install? can you provide an apt list?

Do you really use a plain ubuntu, or did you do any of this highly questionable tricks some ppl sugges, like ripping out pulse and installing alsa?

Right now i am on a laptop, using a plain 11.04 64 Bit ubuntu with a freshlly downloaded 32 Bit viewer right from the cool-viewer homepage.

When i start it i have the following issues:

No splash screen, the HTML side that is used as login background does not work
No inworld web search
Sound stutters

video i did not test yet, but i doubt it works.

So what libs do you use? I installed all the 32Bit compat libs ubuntu officially provides.

I have the same issues on my Desktop where i use 12 Bit linux Mint 12 which is based on ubuntu 11.10.

Hell, i am dealing with linux since 1994 installed my first linux based on kernel 0.98 from 40-50 3.5" floppy disks i downloaded via a 2400Baud modem directly from an US server... But since 1998 when i started using cool and started sl i never got this issues really fully solved.

2012-04-17 21:01:09

Just a plain old ubuntu, with the compatibility libraries the viewer itself recommends:
Quote:
You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform. The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/$VIEWER_BINARY: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl

Since October I've been using Arch, though, and my PKGBUILD is this.
I hope that helps.

2012-04-17 21:52:52

Ty for your tips, but i already installed all the mentioned libs andchecked with ldd there are no more unmet dependancies...

Lets see if some more ppl answer to this tread, i cant belive its just the 3-4 of us who use cool and linux.

2012-04-18 06:51:34

g0rd0ngrfr33mailgr wrote:
Just a plain old ubuntu, with the compatibility libraries the viewer itself recommends:
Quote:
You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform. The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/$VIEWER_BINARY: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl

Since October I've been using Arch, though, and my PKGBUILD is this.
I hope that helps.
You should also need the 32bits gstreamer libraries to get sound and media to work properly.

2012-04-18 08:10:45
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
You should also need the 32bits gstreamer libraries to get sound and media to work properly.

Correct, that too.

2012-04-18 12:15:56

Hi everyone,

while it would be very nice to have a proper 64-bit version of the viewer, my personal situation with the issue is a lot better than it used to be a couple of years ago. Back then it was a real pain to get everything in the viewer working properly under 64-bit -- which resulted in my switching back to 32-bit at the time.

Well, to make a long story short -- a couple of weeks ago I switched to the Precise Pangolin beta in 64-bit, and I don't have any regrets. While there were some issues, they were beta-related, which was to be expected. Getting the viewer to run properly was a virtual breeze due to MultiArch this time, and now I'm a happy camper (especially since the viewer can now actually get more than 3 GByte virtual, too -- yay! :D ).

Love,
Lia

2012-04-18 17:55:40

Can I get the Cool VL Viewer to build as a 64bit binary on Linux by setting $ENV variables and/or compiler switches, or is there a whole bunch of code and/or dependencies that I need to fix for 64bit cleanness?

Just checking before I try setting out down the compile path, which has always been tortuous for me due to dependencies and other such annoyances. Last time I tried to compile a viewer into a a 64bit binary (Singularity, about a year ago) I had to give up the build because GCC kept crashing at about 65% completion.

Haven't tried again since, but would like to start experimenting with Mesh and I really dont like the v2/v3 UI at all.

Fu.

2012-06-14 18:53:34

my two cents:

according to my own experiences (Viewers installed as RPM packages on openSUSE 12.1 x86_64), the whole "32bit viewer does not work well on 64bit" is absolute bull.
I have encountered *not a single problem with media* with running a 32bit binary on 64bit so far, media being the one topic that a lot of people seem to bring up.
I have to admit, I have no idea if voice would work; I don't use it anyways.

That being said, it *would* be nice if my 6gig memory could be fully used.
On the other hand, I hardly ever have OOM crashes these days, using the latest V-D sources as a base...

2012-06-18 06:12:57
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next