Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 21:13:26

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
[1.26.4.25] objects not spinning correctly [re-opened] 

ahoy. have been a long time cool vl viewer user because i found most of all other projects way too bloated. great job! however i have observed a weird thing.

they MIGHT have been in the 23 release too, not sure.

official LL grid, windows XP sp3 32bit, cool vl viewer 1.26.4.24

spinning parts on vehicles act weird.
examples: wheels on cars, rotors on helicopters, when they should just spin normally
they just bounce back and forth in both directions. several people
on the official LL viewer told me, that they see the objects
spin normally.
i am not a scripter, all i know is these are linked
prims on physical vehicles that either include a script
or are controlled by a script in the rootprim of the physical vehicle.

sorry for the non-professional descriptions, but if this is somehow repeatable by others, maybe we can work it out! :D

cheers.

Last edited by joetofu on 2012-09-02 08:39:49, edited 3 times in total.

2012-08-18 10:26:02

joetofu wrote:
1. spinning parts on vehicles act weird.
examples: wheels on cars, rotors on helicopters, when they should just spin normally
they just bounce back and forth in both directions. several people
on the official LL viewer told me, that they see the objects
spin normally.
i am not a scripter, all i know is these are linked
prims on physical vehicles that either include a script
or are controlled by a script in the rootprim of the physical vehicle.
There has been a fix that went into the v3.4 (development) viewer and that changed how the "target omega" rotation is dealt with: this change was backported to the Cool VL Viewer because it does solve issues with rotating prims (such prims rotation was previously reset each time the prim parameters changed, such as when starting or stopping particles, for example). I didn't notice any negative effect so far, but that's perhaps what you are observing... I'd need precise reproduction steps or (best !) a demonstrator (an object that shows off the issue).

Quote:
2. ghost LL plants
with "animated trees" turned OFF sometimes the default LL plants (trees, shrubs, flowers)
will appear mid air over water and at random locations all over mainland sims but only in
certain camera angles. when you move the camera around they appear and disappear randomly.

now with "animated trees" turned ON the problem seems to be fixed.
This issue has already been reported here and should now be fixed in v1.26.4.25 and v1.26.5.4.

2012-08-18 14:05:16
Profile WWW

note: edited the topic title to reflect feedback

since all my observations are based on "payware" no mod/no transfer vehicles its hard to pinpoint it, i can't see the scripts, can't tell if they are compiled to mono or lsl, cant edit the prims...

maybe i can find a freebie that inherits the same basic functions to demonstrate so it can be shared. will report back if i can find anything.

2012-08-19 01:34:14

no luck, but i wonder if no other person is experiencing this, i installed the official LL viewer on my linux partition to check if this is really not just a server side issue, but everythings rotating fine there for me.

i have tried to set up a basic linked primset with some parts using the lltargetomega function, but i cannot reproduce it with this lousy method. there seems to be more variables interacting together. hehe.

but i am observing what you have described, it looks like the rotation is starting again and again, the prim is reset to the initial position and starts rotating again, reset, rotating, reset, rotating... (to clarify: i can see them rotating perfectly normal when i test it with the official LL viewer version 3.3.4.262321).

2012-08-20 07:43:12

Yes, the backported "fix" was from viewer-development v3.4 (so v3.3.4 is fine or, more exactly, got the same reset bug on particles start/stop than all older viewer versions). LL published a fix on their mercurial for that issue, and I backported it into the upcoming v1.26.4.26 and v1.26.5.5.

2012-08-20 08:24:32
Profile WWW

The supplementary "fix" in viewer v3.4.1 actually breaks more rotating objects... So, I finally reverted the code to what it was in v1.26.4.23 and older viewers: this means the old glitches rae back, but at least they are well known (they always existed in all viewers), rather minor and quite harmless (unlike the new bugs introduced by the "fix"). Let's hope LL will come up with a proper fix for them, sometime...

2012-08-25 14:17:11
Profile WWW

thanks a lot for looking into this, just updated to the latest version and its all behaving like before (wheels and propellors spinning correctly).

good job! very much appreciated.

2012-08-26 08:32:04

follow-up for the recent release version 1.26.4 (28).

objects just rotating around 1 axis seem to be ok (example: REAR wheels on a car)

objects rotating around 2 or more axes (example: FRONT wheels of a driving car while turning left/right) at the same time "wobble" until one of the rotations stop.

hard to describe, but the front car wheel is the best example. it stands straight on the ground and turns around itself while driving, then when you turn it will rotate accordingly to the left or right, but should remain straight up. what happens is, that the rotation starts to add up and it spins like a gyro.

if i undstood you correctly, this probably should be reported to the official beta viewer jira since it happens there too?

cheers

2012-09-02 08:49:30

joetofu wrote:
follow-up for the recent release version 1.26.4 (28).

objects just rotating around 1 axis seem to be ok (example: REAR wheels on a car)

objects rotating around 2 or more axes (example: FRONT wheels of a driving car while turning left/right) at the same time "wobble" until one of the rotations stop.

hard to describe, but the front car wheel is the best example. it stands straight on the ground and turns around itself while driving, then when you turn it will rotate accordingly to the left or right, but should remain straight up. what happens is, that the rotation starts to add up and it spins like a gyro.
It would be nice if you could provide a demonstrator object for me to reproduce the bug... I'll disable the new code and use the old one in the next release (unless LL comes up with more fixes to the new code).

Quote:
if i undstood you correctly, this probably should be reported to the official beta viewer jira since it happens there too?
Yes, please. Reproduce the bug with LL's viewer and post a JIRA (or update an existing one) with the result you got on LL's viewer (don't mention any TPV or they will dismiss the issue as not affecting their own viewer...). Be sure to use LL's latest viewer-development v3.4.1 or viewer-beta v3.4.1, since the new code they just posted three days ago (and used in the Cool VL Viewer already) is not part of older releases and they would dismiss your issue as "already fixed"...

2012-09-02 09:31:44
Profile WWW

New code re-disabled in v1.26.4.29 & v1.26.5.8. Objects now spin again as they used to do in old viewers.

2012-09-09 09:24:33
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next