Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 17:30:58

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Inventory item links support 

Thank you! <3

2010-12-02 01:36:23

I am "migrating" back to CoolVL from Phoenix/Firestorm and I think I have discovered a potential trap for people doing the same thing. Having read back through this thread, I think this is a transitional issue as I adopt the CoolVL way, but I believe it is worth noting.

I gave up the V2 "stuff everything in the My Outfits folder" approach some time ago, so I have been building my Outfits in normal Inventory folders, which is basically much better. However, by default, Phoenix creates Outfits made up of links to all components, not just the no-copy parts, and I set up all the links for any one item (a necklace, skirt, pair of earrings etc.) to point at one "master" original (I keep backup copies in other folders naturally).

Now, let's say for example that I have an old Outfit that I created in Phoenix in a folder called Red Dress, which includes a link to a copyable object called Gold Bracelet that resides in My Inventory/Accessories/Jewellery folder. Then in CoolVL, I create a new Outfit called Green Dress while wearing the same Gold Bracelet. Because the bracelet is copyable, CoolVL will copy it into the new Outfit folder instead of creating a link. All well and good; that is the CoolVL way.

The trap is that the Gold Bracelet link in the old Red Dress folder will no longer be pointing at the Gold Bracelet object in the My Inventory/Accessories/Jewellery folder, but instead at the new copy of Gold Bracelet just created in the Green Dress folder! As a result, if I get tired of the Green Dress Outfit and delete the folder, I will break the link in the Red Dress folder once I empty Trash. Where I have clothes and accessories that are "shared" by several different Outfits (and who doesn't?) this could get messy. Now I know about this quirk, I can watch out for it, and review my Outfits.

2012-01-26 12:18:51

linyifei wrote:
I am "migrating" back to CoolVL from Phoenix/Firestorm and I think I have discovered a potential trap for people doing the same thing. Having read back through this thread, I think this is a transitional issue as I adopt the CoolVL way, but I believe it is worth noting.
Please, the name of my viewer is "Cool VL Viewer", not "CoolVL" neither "Cool VL" neither "Cool Viewer"...

Quote:
I gave up the V2 "stuff everything in the My Outfits folder" approach some time ago, so I have been building my Outfits in normal Inventory folders, which is basically much better. However, by default, Phoenix creates Outfits made up of links to all components, not just the no-copy parts, and I set up all the links for any one item (a necklace, skirt, pair of earrings etc.) to point at one "master" original (I keep backup copies in other folders naturally).

Now, let's say for example that I have an old Outfit that I created in Phoenix in a folder called Red Dress, which includes a link to a copyable object called Gold Bracelet that resides in My Inventory/Accessories/Jewellery folder. Then in CoolVL, I create a new Outfit called Green Dress while wearing the same Gold Bracelet. Because the bracelet is copyable, CoolVL will copy it into the new Outfit folder instead of creating a link. All well and good; that is the CoolVL way.

The trap is that the Gold Bracelet link in the old Red Dress folder will no longer be pointing at the Gold Bracelet object in the My Inventory/Accessories/Jewellery folder, but instead at the new copy of Gold Bracelet just created in the Green Dress folder! As a result, if I get tired of the Green Dress Outfit and delete the folder, I will break the link in the Red Dress folder once I empty Trash. Where I have clothes and accessories that are "shared" by several different Outfits (and who doesn't?) this could get messy. Now I know about this quirk, I can watch out for it, and review my Outfits.
The reason why the links point to the new outfit folder is simply because when creating a new outfit, v1 viewers actually move the worn items to the new outfit folder and make copies of the moved items into the source folder(s): this saves having to take-off the worn items in the source folder(s) and to wear newly copied items in the new outfit folder.

There are two possible workarounds for this issue: either change the algorithm to copy the original items to the new outfit folder (instead of moving them) and not wear them (thus resulting in a new outfit folder which items are not worn automatically and would have to be worn manually: but then if you modify the items after creating the new outfit you modify the original items, not the ones in the new outfit), or adding an option in the Make New Outfit floater to create inventory links for all items (including copy-ok) ones... I'll probably go for the second solution since it's safer...

2012-01-26 19:05:55
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
[…]There are two possible workarounds for this issue: either change the algorithm to copy the original items to the new outfit folder (instead of moving them) and not wear them (thus resulting in a new outfit folder which items are not worn automatically and would have to be worn manually: but then if you modify the items in appearance mode after creating the new outfit you modify the original items, not the ones in the new outfit), or adding an option in the Make New Outfit floater to create inventory links for all items (including copy-ok) ones... I'll probably go for the second solution since it's safer...

This ability to create links for all items in an outfit has always been something I missed in Cool VL Viewer. I'm used to sharing things between outfits, so I prefer having one source with several links pointing to it than having multiple copies of the same thing. So a big +1 for me on this one. :D

2012-01-26 20:20:07

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Please, the name of my viewer is "Cool VL Viewer", not "CoolVL" neither "Cool VL" neither "Cool Viewer"...
Noted! :oops: Your explanation made perfect sense; thank you for taking the time.

2012-01-26 21:36:20

ErikaThorkveld wrote:
This ability to create links for all items in an outfit has always been something I missed in Cool VL Viewer. I'm used to sharing things between outfits, so I prefer having one source with several links pointing to it than having multiple copies of the same thing. So a big +1 for me on this one. :D
There are however a couple of drawbacks: having a single item with links pointing to it instead of several copies of the same item means that in case of an inventory corruption leading to the loss of the said item, there is no way to recover it... Also, it's not uncommon to have to edit the item to fit each outfit (color changes, size changes, etc) and you can't do that unless you use a specific copy for the corresponding outfit... It's why I prefer v1's way of creating outfits to v2/3's... and the reason why the latter method will only be an option in the Cool VL Viewer.

2012-01-26 23:43:15
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
There are however a couple of drawbacks: having a single item with links pointing to it instead of several copies of the same item means that in case of an inventory corruption leading to the loss of the said item, there is no way to recover it... Also, it's not uncommon to have to edit the item to fit each outfit (color changes, size changes, etc) and you can't do that unless you use a specific copy for the corresponding outfit... It's why I prefer v1's way of creating outfits to v2/3's... and the reason why the latter method will only be an option in the Cool VL Viewer.

I understand that completely. I'm just used to keeping several versions of customizable items to be able to reuse them in different outfits. And I always make a copy of anything before starting to customize it anyway, so the inventory corruption is less of a problem I guess. And I'm just saying it's nice to get the choice. Of course, I completely understand those who prefer to keep a per-outfit version of their items, it makes perfect sense. It's just not how I'm used to doing things, that's all. :)

2012-01-27 12:13:58

ErikaThorkveld wrote:
Of course, I completely understand those who prefer to keep a per-outfit version of their items, it makes perfect sense. It's just not how I'm used to doing things, that's all. :)
Exactly! That's what I meant when I said it was a "transitional issue". I've been used to doing things one way, and the Cool VL Viewer way is different. Not bad; just different.

2012-01-28 02:42:33

Is there a way to find inventory links, especially broken ones?

2013-01-28 14:17:07

Tillie wrote:
Is there a way to find inventory links, especially broken ones?
Not for now (links are filtered out to prevent cluttering search results)...

2013-01-28 16:39:44
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next