Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 10:57:07

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Problems Compiling, specifically with Quicktime 

I'm running into a problem compiling the Cool VL viewer, which I'll describe below. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, I have VS2010 Express installed, as well as cygwin and other packages required for compiling.

I'll start by saying that I have managed to compile Firestorm and LL V3 viewers using Autobuild, but I have absolutely no experience compiling any other TPV client. The main reason I want to compile Cool VL, beyond the personal satisfaction of getting it to work, is that I like the viewer and I'd like to customize it a bit for use with an Opensim grid.

However, I have some questions about the process. I'm following the instructions in the WindowsBuildHowto.txt file in the /linden/docs folder, and it says to make sure I have the Quicktime SDK installed. I already do have Quicktime installed, but all that I see in my Programs folder is /Quicktime, not /Quicktime SDK. Following the instructions, I went to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL837 to download it again, but after doing this I still don't have an SDK folder. The problem I see is that file /linden/indra/winbuild.bat references folder "c:\Program Files\QuickTime SDK\CIncludes\" and file "c:\Program Files\QuickTime SDK\Libraries\QTMLClient.lib", neither of which is defined. When I previously did the Firestorm & LL compiles, QTMLClient.lib was in a folder called "build-vc100/packages/lib" which was in the indra folder. But not sure if it's ok to just reference that.

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks

2013-06-25 15:03:17

Simply rename your QuickTime folder to "QuickTime SDK" or edit the viewer's indra\winbuild.bat script and change all occurrences of "c:\Program Files\QuickTime SDK\" for whatever folder name your QuickTime SDK is installed into...

2013-06-25 15:23:21
Profile WWW

Well, renaming the "quicktime" folder to "quicktime sdk" won't work, because it doesn't contain any of the includes or library files required by winbuild.bat. From what I can see, there is no "quicktime sdk" available for download from the Apple site, or if there is it's very well hidden (do I need to have the Pro version to access it?). I suppose I will try copying the build-vc100 folder that came with the v3 compile and modifying the .bat file to point to there... at least it has qmtlclient.lib

2013-06-25 17:13:09

You probably downloaded the wrong package (the user QuickTime install and not the SDK). You might have to create and sign in with an "Apple ID" to get access to the SDK... Apple sucks !

The QuickTime library provided by LL is a stub, i.e. you will end up with non-functional media if you compile the viewer with it.

2013-06-25 17:54:05
Profile WWW

First, I agree with you that Apple sucks. I'm starting to wonder if they even offer an SDK for Windows anymore. I downloaded the only thing that was available from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL837, the link given in the instructions, but it is the full qt install. I have seen references to another supposed download link to the SDK, https://developer.apple.com/quicktime/download, but it just takes me to the main "Quicktime for Developers" page. I set myself up with an Apple ID so I could access more of the site, but searches for "Quicktime SDK" come up empty. I then saw numerous postings from users on other site claiming that the Quicktime SDK is no longer supported for Windows. I can only assume that those who are presently compiling viewers on Windows have a version of the SDK downloaded from an earlier time, but I can't find it anywhere. Like I said, I will try using the build libraries distributed with the LL V3 compile, which do contain QTMLClient.lib, and see if I can get it to work with that.

Thanks for you time.

2013-06-25 18:11:06

I was able to copy the QT files from another build, and the viewer compiled fine. The important thing to take away from this is that the links to the Quicktime SDK no longer work. Thanks for your help Henri

2013-06-25 23:43:56

Apparently, LL is distributing the necessary (and now fully functional while they used to be stubs, for licensing reasons) QuickTime files in their pre-built libraries public repository: I don't know if LL obtained a special license (the license file in their pre-built library package is empty !), but after all, it's their problem, not mine... So, starting with today's releases, the building process was changed so that LL's pre-built QuickTime is automatically downloaded and used to build the viewer and you don't need any more to have the QuickTime SDK installed on your system.

2013-07-05 18:31:44
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]