Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 23:10:10

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Server-side baking support 

And once more, the Cool VL Viewer is the first TPV to provide you with the newest feature. Server-side baking support has been implemented in the Cool VL Viewer v1.26.7.5 (experimental branch) !

For now, the only places where you can test this feature are the "sunshine" sims on Aditi (SL beta grid). Note that the feature is still highly experimental (please refer to the corresponding Wiki page for full details).

To implement this feature I had (alas) to implement also basic support for the "Current Outfit" folder (AKA "COF"). Note that the support is minimal (albeit it could be extended in future versions). For now, the only thing the server-side baking system cares about is the presence in the COF of the inventory links for each worn "wearable" item (shape, skin, eyes, hair, plus any clothing item), and that's what the Cool VL Viewer places by default in the COF.
There is also a possibility to enable attachment links syncing, by setting the SyncAttachmentsInCOF debug setting to TRUE but I don't recommend doing it since it only slows down avatar texture baking (the time for the links to the old/new attachments to be deleted/created from/into the COF) and could cause failures to create the mandatory wearable links in case of asset server issues (such issues did happen in SL this very week on the main grid, and v2/3 viewers users were experiencing failures to change outfit as a result of their COF not being updated: see my take on this matter: LL can't say I didn't tell them !).

Also, by default, the Cool VL Viewer hides the "Current Outfit" folder from your inventory window(s), since there's "no user-serviceable part inside" (i.e. you should not modify its contents manually). If you want to see it, you can set the "HideCurrentOutfitFolder" setting to FALSE (and "Reset Filters" in inventory).

Feel free to report feedback about this feature in this thread and enjoy !

2013-01-11 19:27:53
Profile WWW

As it happens, I am tending to use the Current Outfit Folder more than I am using the "Wearing" tab in the Inventory (I usually use Firestorm, with Cool VL Viewer as back-up and for access to the Mesh Deformer.

I think the reason might interest you.

Using the "Wearing" tab, I get a huge number of duplicates, every link to each item I am wearing. That is, very occasionally useful, and I admit I have never bothered to see if there is a filter to switch this off. Click on the COF, and I get just a set of links, enough to tell me of duplicates or stuck attachments.

There's an overlap of function here with the Outfits display in Firestorm, a list of every outfit in the Outfits inventory folder. There's an option to show what is currently worn there. But the Inventory display handles sub-folders, so that you can keep groups of similar outfits organised and not have to search through a long list. The Outfits window doesn't use the folder structure, just showing that long list, and ignores anything made in the Inventory window: you cannot make anything in the Inventory window which is recognised as an outfit.

I still have a lot of AV "outfits" existing only as sub-folders of "Clothing", and I suppose that the fashion enthusiasts I know would love to have sub-folders available in the Outfits window. I find myself wondering how many times the Lindens change their clothes.

I'm a furry with a sensitive nose, and I maybe ought to stand upwind of Lindens. :lol:

2013-01-12 06:59:01

WolfBaginski wrote:
As it happens, I am tending to use the Current Outfit Folder more than I am using the "Wearing" tab in the Inventory (I usually use Firestorm, with Cool VL Viewer as back-up and for access to the Mesh Deformer.
If you prefer Firestorm, then by all means, stick with it, but don't come and give me lessons about what would be best for my viewer (yes, I made this viewer for myself in the first place and just provide it for free for like-minded people to enjoy it. It's in no way "a viewer for the masses": if you don't like it, don't use it, it's as simple as that !).

Quote:
I think the reason might interest you.

Using the "Wearing" tab, I get a huge number of duplicates, every link to each item I am wearing. That is, very occasionally useful, and I admit I have never bothered to see if there is a filter to switch this off. Click on the COF, and I get just a set of links, enough to tell me of duplicates or stuck attachments.
Obviously, you do not know what you are speaking about ! The "Worn" tab in the Cool VL Viewer does NOT list links to worn items (all links are filtered out).

In any case, this thread is not about the COF, but about the server-side baking feature. Keep it on topic, please !!!

2013-01-12 08:26:14
Profile WWW

With the bug that I mentioned, that after changing the skin the avatar stays unmodified... avatar-reload works again, if I disable server-side baking in th Advanced/Character. And breaks when I enable server-side baking again. So it's not network issue or something but apparently a problem with the new baking stuffs.

2013-01-12 13:04:14

Tillie wrote:
With the bug that I mentioned, that after changing the skin the avatar stays unmodified... avatar-reload works again, if I disable server-side baking in th Advanced/Character. And breaks when I enable server-side baking again. So it's not network issue or something but apparently a problem with the new baking stuffs.
On the SL main gird, disabling or enabling server-side baking doesn't make any difference since no region on the main grid got server side baking capability. Please provide a full bug report in the bug report forum if a baking issue happens on the main grid (but I don't see any such issue here, so be *sure* to clear your cache and relog before reporting one).

2013-01-12 13:29:04
Profile WWW

As many of you already know, SSB is going to break the "avatar Z offset" (and also avatar width and depth adjustments) feature as it is implemented in all viewers (but LL's viewers, that completely lack this feature).

I described in details the case in SUN-38 and, alas, in now over 4 months LL has proven incapable (or unwilling) to address this issue properly while SSB is going to be enabled (and forced down everyone's throat, since viewer-side baking will break at the same time) during the second week of July (or so it is said to be scheduled for).

The "solution" LL came up with (i.e. the new "Hover" visual parameter in the shape wearable) is not only partial (it does not address avatar width and depth) and inadequate (this Z offset should not be a shape parameter but just a temporary offset to be sent to the physics engine), but it also relies on your avatar wearing a modify-ok shape. This said, I managed to implement it in a way that allows to modify the Hover parameter without having to edit your avatar's appearance each time (even though the result is the same: your avatar shape gets modified, saved and "rebaked" each time).

This means that with today's releases (Cool VL Viewer v1.26.4.79, v1.26.8.15 and v1.26.9.15) you can still use the "Z offset" spinner (in the "Movement Controls" floater) as well as keep enjoying the @adjustheight RestrainedLove command for scripted items using it.

However, the following restrictions apply when you are in a SSB-enabled sim:
  • Your avatar must be wearing a mod-ok shape (else the avatar Z offset feature is unavailable to you).
  • Quick changes to the Avatar Z offset (especially via the spinner in the "Movement Controls" floater) may cause failures to propagate properly (since, each time, the avatar shape must be saved into the asset server and the avatar rebaked by the SL servers), depending on lag.
  • The offset is very slow to be taken into account (several seconds for each change, when less than one second was enough to see changes propagated in non-SSB sims).
  • The feature will not work if the asset server is glitchy (which regularly happens on peak hours in SL).

If you wish to see a proper fix implemented, then please vote (and watch, since LL counts watches to measure SLers' interest in a JIRA issue) for SUN-38.

2013-06-29 13:27:08
Profile WWW

In last Saturday's releases, a throttling algorithm was added to prevent asset server failures when quickly changing the Z-offset from the spinner in the movements control floater: please let me know if the throttling is not enough for you.

2013-07-15 19:05:16
Profile WWW

Nyx Linden brought my attention on a issue that would affect avatars wearing rigged mesh attachments using a non-zero "pelvis offset" (this is a parameter that is set by the mesh creator at upload time, and that may be used in some full body meshes (such as tiny avatars) or some mesh boots, for example): in SSB-enabled sims, such avatars would appear at the wrong level relatively to the ground or possibly fail to rez properly if the Cool VL Viewer is used with the "Create links for attachments in COF" setting disabled (in the "Preferences" floater -> "Cool features" tab -> "Inventory" sub-tab).
The reason is that the SSB "ovens" need this offset (and thus a link in the COF for the corresponding rigged mesh) to compute the position of the avatar's pelvis above the ground. I overlooked that because, well... I don't have/use any rigged mesh with non-zero pelvis offset in my inventory !

This week's releases will have this setting removed and "always on" (i.e. attachments will always have a link created in the COF). In the mean time, just make sure the corresponding setting is checked.

2013-07-23 13:48:10
Profile WWW

"Cool VL Viewer v1.26.4.82 (legacy stable branch with v2.6 renderer and mesh deformer support in OpenSim):

New in this release:

Backported a work around for failing HTTP connections from LL's viewer-bear (AKA Release Maintenance). This should lower the number of failed and retried fetches for textures and the occurrences of failed mesh data fetching."

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

Your latest viewer has done wonders for me, it's positively wonderful! :D

2013-07-26 12:43:10

First off I just want to say Thanks for the Great work on the CoolVL Viewer and I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong spot. I just thought I would post some issues and see if anyone else has successfully managed to fix them. I have done tons of reading and I think I've found the problem, the COF.

Anyway prior to the Project Sunshine rollout I was having No issues seeing other avatars and being seen by others as well. Once the roll out went grid wide I could see myself render as grey but editing appearance fixes that, but I am still invisible (Cloud) to others. I have done several character tests with no change. Other avatars using the same computer/viewer do render correctly, to me and others, so it appears to be limited to an issue with only my avatar. I have done countless reading and it appears to involve the Current Outfit folder in my inventory. It is a system file, but I see it as a sub file in the System Clothing file. Is there anyway that I can remove the current outfit file? I read where you were not a big fan of that folder being the focal point of Server side baking as well. I have tried to get assistance from Linden Lab but I have had no luck, I assume because I am not a premium member. I tried filing a ticket a couple of years ago on another account with the same results, never heard from LL. Anyway, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, I just wanted to hear if anyone else on the Cool VL Viewer could give some tips on my delimna. As a note, my PC and net exceeds LL's recomended requirements and I am currently using CoolVL Viewer 1.26.9.24 for the Windows platform.

Thanks & have a Great day all. :)

2013-08-28 20:10:55
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next