Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 04:40:31

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"emerald speed rezzer"... should be possible to put in CV 

Hi,

there's this "tool" for emerald out there called the emerald speed rezzer. It's a set of gestures that are supposed to speed up rezzing of your environment.

What they do:
they use emeralds built-in commandline to set the draw distance to the smallest amount possible, then increase it in steps...

... that should be possible to put into CV even without any gestures.
Just after each region change/auccessful teleport, set draw distance to the absolute minimum (speed rezzer uses 24 meters), then increase in steps to the configured value...

supposedly it also increases reliablility of teleports so maybe reducing draw distance BEFORE starting a TP might be a good idea too?

2010-01-07 10:30:45
Profile YIM WWW

Hmm, I'll want to do some testing on that teleport theory...

2010-01-08 01:51:44
Profile WWW

That is funny, for I already implemented such a feature in my (private) development branch a few weeks ago, and yes, it will be part of the next release of the Cool SL Viewer.

Here is how it works:

On TPs which are not considered 'local' (i.e. farther than draw distance or in another sim), when the TeleportSpeedRez setting is set to TRUE, it saves the draw distance and then sets it to 32m. On arrival in the new sim, it launches a timer and at a set interval (configurable: default is 30s), it doubles the draw distance each time till it reaches the saved draw distance. It also works if you increase manually the draw distance after TP, or if you TP again before it reaches the saved draw distance.

No need for stupid gestures and cryptic commands :-P

2010-01-08 15:54:19
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
That is funny, for I already implemented such a feature in my (private) development branch a few weeks ago, and yes, it will be part of the next release of the Cool SL Viewer.

guess i can stop working on it now ;)

henry, you really need a donation thing in your shop... ;)

2010-01-08 15:59:28
Profile YIM WWW

I did some testing on this, and dropping draw distance prior to teleporting increases not only the reliability of teleports, but makes them go through faster as well. Going to do some further testing.

EDIT: right as soon as I finish the small coding project I just started.

2010-01-09 02:33:09
Profile WWW

The "SpeedRez" feature has been officially implemented in the Cool SL Viewer. I also made it so that it speeds up rezzing on login. See the announcement forum for details about the new releases.

Lance Corrimal wrote:
henry, you really need a donation thing in your shop... ;)
There are tip jars already in my two shops, so if you really feel so inclined, feel free to donate. :-)

2010-01-10 15:40:32
Profile WWW

don't buy booze for it, ok? ;)

... i think i might have found a hiccup in the speedrezzer:

if you crash or logout before the speedrezzer is done with raising the draw distance, your draw distance is whatever it was when you crashed/logged out, not what your "normal" DD is.

2010-01-10 19:25:59
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
don't buy booze for it, ok? ;)

Quote:
... i think i might have found a hiccup in the speedrezzer:

if you crash or logout before the speedrezzer is done with raising the draw distance, your draw distance is whatever it was when you crashed/logged out, not what your "normal" DD is.
This can happen because of a crash (and nothing can be done about it), but not during a normal (and successful) log off (code has been implemented for this case).

2010-01-10 20:51:39
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:

This can happen because of a crash (and nothing can be done about it), but not during a normal (and successful) log off (code has been implemented for this case).

i have had this happen several times now, with crashes AND normal logouts.

I shall try to verify more.

One "pseudonormal" logout is not handled though:
the "You have been disconnected from SecondLife" logout that happens sometimes when a TP fails. In that case you're stuck with the smaller draw distance too.
Well, stuck until you manually change it back.
I'd say the "safest bet" would be to store the original draw distance in the settings file before changing it, and on startup of SL compare the values of original & backup... and if the backup value is bigger, use it. Also, when changing the draw distance manually in preferences, write the new value in the original AND backup places in the settings.
that should actually take care of the crash version of the problem, too...

2010-01-11 09:20:53
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:

i have had this happen several times now, with crashes AND normal logouts.

OK for crashes, impossible for normal logouts... I kept using this feature for weeks before pushing it up in the official release, so you can be sure it was very thoroughly tested...

Quote:
I shall try to verify more.

One "pseudonormal" logout is not handled though:
the "You have been disconnected from SecondLife" logout that happens sometimes when a TP fails. In that case you're stuck with the smaller draw distance too.
Well, stuck until you manually change it back.
This indeed does not qualify as a "normal logout".
What surprises me most is that you get that many crashes/logouts with the Cool SL Viewer... I myself crash/get logged out during a TP like once in a week, at most...
If you are experiencing TP problems, you might want to verify your network (packets losses, slow or unreliable DNS ?) and to reduce the number of attachments (or use lower prims, lower lag attachments) on your avatar.

Quote:
I'd say the "safest bet" would be to store the original draw distance in the settings file before changing it, and on startup of SL compare the values of original & backup... and if the backup value is bigger, use it. Also, when changing the draw distance manually in preferences, write the new value in the original AND backup places in the settings.
that should actually take care of the crash version of the problem, too...
Yes, I will see what can be done for the next release to harden the draw distance preservation. Note however, that crashes can sometimes defeat even the saved settings...

2010-01-11 10:47:06
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next