Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 08:44:03

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
World not rezing fully 

Hey Henri,

Well for the past couple of days when I log into DN not everything rez for me. The world around me is missing objects. I usually have to clear cache and relog to get everything to rez, and then only having to do it all over again when I login again. I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I try Firestorm everything rez fine. :?

Here is my log files for the past few days.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9sV-i ... sp=sharing

Geoff

2016-11-17 17:06:29

Hard to tell what's happening from the logs. There are some 404 with bad mesh headers, which could result in mesh objects not loading/rezzing, but without knowing what exact object is missing for you, it's impossible to tell for sure if it's the issue at hand (in which case this would be a network or server problem)...

I'm also seeing logs of sessions that have been stopped manually (killing with task manager ?) before full viewer shut down: such actions would cause a truncated/corrupted VFS file, and thus incomplete/corrupted cached meshes on next session...

2016-11-17 21:16:43
Profile WWW

Well its hard to tell you which objects are missing, because its random. Only clearing the cache and re-logging fixes it. FS works fine with it. So don't know.

As for as end tasking the viewer.. I have not done that recently, however I have clicked the X (close) button at the top right of the window. Sometimes I get inpatient for the viewer to shut down especially when I know the sim just crashed and the viewer is still showing I'm connected.

Geoff

2016-11-17 21:54:46

The problem is probably related with these hasted shutdowns... Please, let the viewer shut down by itself, else the VFS (which thread is deleted at the very end of the shutdown process) is not properly updated/closed, which would result in corruptions (thus why clearing the cache fixes it)...

I also see that you hasted the shutdown while meshes where still flagged as uploading:
Code:
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: Viewer disconnected
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: Saving Data...
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLControlGroup::saveToFile: Saved to C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings_coolvlviewer_12618.xml
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLControlGroup::saveToFile: Saved to C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\geoff_earnshaw@dreamnation\settings_per_account_coolvlviewer.xml
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: All user settings saved
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: HBFileSelector::saveDefaultPaths: Saving default selector paths to: C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\selector_paths.xml
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: selector_paths.xml saved
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: url_history.xml saved
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: Cookies saved
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: Mute list saved
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: Display cleaned up
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLAppViewer::cleanup: Stopped logging to fixed buffer
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLMeshRepository::shutdown: Shutting down mesh repository.
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLMeshRepository::shutdown: Discard the pending mesh uploads
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLMeshRepoThread::~LLMeshRepoThread: Small GETs issued:  11 - Large GETs issued:  0 - Max Lock Holdoffs:  0
2016-11-14T19:17:19Z INFO: LLMeshRepository::shutdown: Waiting for pending mesh upload 0/1
2016-11-14T19:17:23Z INFO: LLMeshRepository::shutdown: Shutting down decomposition system.
and the log stops here (no crash, just killed viewer process).

You should really avoid this, since here again, the mesh repository is shutdown before the VFS, and the latter is not yet saved/updated when you kill the viewer.

2016-11-17 22:29:00
Profile WWW

Yeah on the 14th I was trying to upload a mesh item to the grid without any success. I believe the mesh item was bad as I got it from the internet that has too high vertex count or was just corrupted. Not all dae files are made for vertical worlds I guess. So I ended it after 5-10 minutes of waiting for it to calculate and tried again several times. So that could be what your seeing in the log. I'm a very impatient person and hate waiting, lol.

Also, of course this is not new news or a surprise to anyone, but DN is having some major server issues at this time, and I think this could all be related to the grid issues and not to the viewer. So again I appreciate your help and sorry for bugging you.

Geoff

2016-11-18 19:39:25

Yes but ... I'm getting these problems as well, to the point where I've had to give up using the viewer.

My problems are not forced shutdown related, and will happen even after a fresh start with a clean cache.
Behaviour from a clean cache: First location logged in to seems to load fine. Then I wander around SL for a while and load up several MB of meshes and textures in different sims. Then I go back to my original login point, or some other new location, and meshes / textures just won't load. It seems to take a while for the bug to appear (I estimate it's over an hour, with some fairly mesh / texture heavy sim hopping), but when it does, only a relog will fix it.

The last time it happened I was trying to demonstrate some alternative textures on a prim for someone. They could see them, but in the viewer texture picker all I had was grey for about 8 textures of grass including the LL library textures. Nothing I tried would convince them to load up.

It's not network related, because the exact same network renders fine with other viewers.

I've tried the pre-compiled version, a self-compiled version (stock) and a self-compiled version using system libraries. All of them do it. (All Linux 64bit).

As it seems such a reliable fault for me (it always happens eventually if I use the CoolVL viewer), it's a little odd that nobody else is reporting problems.

To recreate it, the easiest method is to jump to some of the gacha resale markets (heavy texture/mesh areas). Stand still and wait until network activity drops to near zero, then rotate the avatar a little, pausing each time to let network activity fall off, for a complete rotation. Fairly often that's enough to stop my home location loading up again if I return to it. Sometimes it takes visiting a couple of sims like that to do it.

2017-01-26 16:34:44

Mogsington wrote:
Yes but ... I'm getting these problems as well, to the point where I've had to give up using the viewer.

My problems are not forced shutdown related, and will happen even after a fresh start with a clean cache.
Behaviour from a clean cache: First location logged in to seems to load fine. Then I wander around SL for a while and load up several MB of meshes and textures in different sims. Then I go back to my original login point, or some other new location, and meshes / textures just won't load. It seems to take a while for the bug to appear (I estimate it's over an hour, with some fairly mesh / texture heavy sim hopping), but when it does, only a relog will fix it.
Without logs, I cannot diagnose your issue.

Please, provide the logs !!!

Quote:
It's not network related, because the exact same network renders fine with other viewers.
You are drawing wrong conclusions: for a start, the Cool VL Viewer uses more aggressive network settings than other viewers (which helps rezzing things much faster). As an example, I'd cite HTTP requests pipelining which is disabled by default in LL's viewer and enabled by default in mine (it helps a great deal oversea users such as myself, for it avoids adding twice the ping delay (about half a second for oversea links) to each HTTP request). This said, such settings can cause so-called "routers" (especially cheap WiFi ones) to loose the established network circuits.
Try disabling HTTP pipelining (from the Advanced -> Networking menu), and see what happens.
Try also reducing the number of simultaneous HTTP requests for textures and meshes (from the "Preferences" floater, "Network & web" tab).

Quote:
As it seems such a reliable fault for me (it always happens eventually if I use the CoolVL viewer), it's a little odd that nobody else is reporting problems.
It's not odd at all: I'm expecting to find out an issue on your end... Mind you, I use the Cool VL Viewer everyday, TPing dozens of times in hours-long sessions, and I was never faced with such an issue...

Quote:
To recreate it, the easiest method is to jump to some of the gacha resale markets (heavy texture/mesh areas). Stand still and wait until network activity drops to near zero, then rotate the avatar a little, pausing each time to let network activity fall off, for a complete rotation. Fairly often that's enough to stop my home location loading up again if I return to it. Sometimes it takes visiting a couple of sims like that to do it.
Please provide precise reproduction steps: a location, a TP chain or route to (an)other sim(s) and a draw distance, would be a good start, so that I can try it out myself.

2017-01-26 18:02:56
Profile WWW

Well I've attached the original log from the session that ended with textures not loading in the texture picker (the big log file).

I use cabled connection to a reasonably good ADSL router (not supplied by the ISP, I paid for a better one). No wifi involved. I already tried reducing the mesh and texture requests down the minimum allowed settings as well. It made no difference. I'll try the pipelining though.

Well from one "pipelining" turned off attempt. It's inconclusive. I got bored with sitting there waiting for textures and meshes to load .. it takes that long. At one point, sitting there waiting, an entire building appeared right next to me after several minutes! If pipelining does solve the problem, then the end result is so slow that it's unusable. (That log is called .slow.). After an initial burst of downloading at or near my peak bandwidth, network activity drops down to 15kb-60kb per second, when there are still clearly a lot of textures and meshes missing (even entire buildings just a few m away).

I'd take issue with the "rezzing things much faster" though. From my experience, it's incredibly slow compared to say Alchemy, Kokua or even the bloated Firestorm client.

Attachments:
CoolVLLog.zip [45.55 KiB]
Downloaded 148 times
File comment: Two log files
CoolVLLog.slow.zip [46.1 KiB]
Downloaded 154 times
2017-01-26 19:24:23

Mogsington wrote:
Well I've attached the original log from the session that ended with textures not loading in the texture picker (the big log file).
There's something extremely fishy: look at the shaders... They get loaded up to 64 times each on startup (they should load once only each !). Something is totally wrong, that got nothing to do with network data fetching/rezzing... I never saw such a thing happening.

There's no real network issue from what I can see from the logs (even if there are also numerous media events loading, that seem suspect to me, unless you were editing an object with media on it).

You still did not give me reproduction steps however, so that I could exclude rezzing issues with a known well configured setting (my PC...).

Quote:
I'd take issue with the "rezzing things much faster" though. From my experience, it's incredibly slow compared to say Alchemy, Kokua or even the bloated Firestorm client.
The Cool VL Viewer is capable of rezzing a never visited full sim in under a minute, and already visited (cached) sims in mere seconds... So no, what you are experiencing is not the normality.

2017-01-26 19:52:12
Profile WWW

Well now you've seen it!
As far as possible this is a very "untweaked" Linux install, using the distro's kernel and recommended Nvidia drivers. I have no problems with the graphics on any game or 3D program I can think of, and I'm not actually complaining about the graphics in this instance either.
So I'm not sure what to comment on that. None of the other SL clients I use seem to log the shader information the same way that CoolVL does, so it seems impossible to compare, except to say they only mention shaders 3 or 4 times in the entire log.

No I wasn't editing an object with media on it, or even trying to access a media prim.

As far as reproduction steps are concerned, I gave you a method that causes the fault for me. Obviously you will run your client and say it doesn't happen to you. It clearly isn't specific to a particular sim, or mesh, or texture. Sometimes its the chairs that won't fully load, sometimes it's a ladder, sometimes it's mainly textures. So asking me to provide a reproduction beyond the one I've already supplied seems a little .. tricky to resolve. I stated "when I go back home" in the earlier message to point out that a location that initially loaded fine, will then stop loading fine later in the same session. Not as in "It always happens here". It happens all over SL.

I guess here we shrug and call it a problem with my "fishy", "suspicious" usage, and assume it's a "probably badly configured" computer then. Although it clearly isn't as far as I can tell. All other viewers work fine. Dozens of games run fine. I can't think of any network or graphics problems in any other program that I use except CoolVL. So obviously. My set up must be to blame.

I'm sorry to have troubled you.

2017-01-26 20:45:39
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next