Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 20:12:56

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
64-bit port? 

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
You can however still build this branch from sources on your system, be it 32 or 64 bits (the only constraint being to use a compiler which ABI is compatible with the pre-built libraries, i.e. gcc v4.6 to 4.9 inclusive).

So, just to clarify, is your plan to stop offering 32bits binaries and only offer 64bits binaries, in the long run?

(Edit: typo)

2016-06-26 11:18:08

g0rd0ngrfr33mailgr wrote:
So, just to clarify, is your plan to stop offering 32bits binaries and only offer 64bits binaries, in the long run?
Indeed... I'm sorry, but I can't afford spending time building 8 binaries (2 viewer branches, 2 OSes, 32 and 64 bits for each) each week, not to mention the 400Mb worth of added data they would take up against my quota on my ISP's web server (which I use for various sites, and not just the Cool VL Viewer's), and maintaining 4 different build systems (Linux and Windows, 32 and 64 bits).

So a choice must be made, and since all modern OSes (*) and computers are now 64 bits, the move is unavoidable.

Also "long" is inappropriate an adjective: the move will happen in the short term (Linux first, then Windows, and hopefully MacOS-X later).

However, the sources (and pre-built libraries) will still allow to build 32 bits viewers on 32 bits OSes, but you will have to do it yourself (it's dead easy for Linux binaries).

(*) And modern Linux distros seem to all be crippling their 32/64 bits "mulitlib" support (which used to work in older distros); for PCLinuxOS 2016 which I migrated to, I had to recompile and repackage myself several libraries so that both the 32 and 64 bits versions could be installed and live along each others: the fault of broken package naming conventions (e.g. naming the 64 bits xcb libraries package "libxcb" instead of "lib64xcb", causing a name conflict with the 32 bits "libxcb" package) and broken directory tree conventions (such as putting 64 bits libraries in /usr/lib instead of inside /usr/lib64 !).

2016-06-26 15:03:37
Profile WWW

Yes, for better or for worse, 64bit is the way to go. Arch Linux still keeps 32bit repositories, but I suppose they too will stop eventually. Thank you for clarifying.

2016-06-27 12:36:27

I'm going to post here, although I know that Henri does not build the OS/X versions of Cool VL Viewer. Perhaps Catten could post with regard to any plans to produce a 64-bit version for the Mac?

Edit: I guess this question is answered here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=264&start=10#p7690

2016-06-29 00:50:41

Today marks the move to 64 bits builds for Windows and the end of the compatibility with Windows 32 bits (all versions) and Windows XP 64 bits (the latter being the consequence to the usage of VS2013 in a non-XP-compatible mode for LL's pre-built libraries).

You may however still build the viewer yourself for 32 bits (with VS2013) and even for Windows XP (with VS2010) targets. See the "linden/doc/WindowsBuildHowto.txt" file in the sources tree.

Do not forget to install the 64 bits gstreamer runtimes if you wish to be able to view streaming media. Get them from here and perform a "Complete" installation.

2016-07-30 10:08:21
Profile WWW

This morning, for the first time, I ran Cool VL Viewer 64-bit build for OS/X on my Mac. So far, it seems to run just fine, and picked up my settings file without any problems. A great big thank you to Catten and Henri for making this happen!
This makes a lovely "red packet" for Chinese New Year. Good wishes and prosperity for the Year of the Dog!
新年好! 恭喜发财! 萬事如意! 狗年!

2018-02-14 23:33:44

linyifei wrote:
This morning, for the first time, I ran Cool VL Viewer 64-bit build for OS/X on my Mac. So far, it seems to run just fine, and picked up my settings file without any problems. A great big thank you to Catten and Henri for making this happen!

I've been trying it out for a few days and it seems to run perfectly indeed! I just had to start clean, as it seems I had tweaked my settings a tad too much and I was getting weird rendering issues.

So I can dump Firestorm now, yessssss! ;) Glad to get rid of this horrible buggy crashy super-slow SL viewer! I just have to unlearn a few things I got used to while using it (inventory add on double-click, for example :P ).

Big thanks to Catten & Henri!

2018-02-15 12:08:56

ErikaThorkveld wrote:
I just had to start clean, as it seems I had tweaked my settings a tad too much and I was getting weird rendering issues.
Well, one of the most obvious settings to change when switching to 64 bits is the texture memory (Graphics tab, GPU features sub-tab of the Preferences floater); the 32 bits releases were limited to 512Mb (because every texture loaded in VRAM is also present in RAM, and the address space for the latter is limited for 32 bits viewers) while the 64 bits ones can enjoy up to the maximum amount available/detected on your video card.

2018-02-15 18:33:15
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
[...] while the 64 bits ones can enjoy up to the maximum amount available/detected on your video card.

A weirdness observed here: while I can drag the slider all the way to 12 GB and save the setting (which also seems to be available and get used according to the texture debug info if I go insane enough), it will always get bumped back down to 4 GB the next time that preferences tab is opened. I presume some 32-bit legacy check is still hiding out somewhere there. :lol:

Love,
Lia

2018-02-23 16:01:05

Amalia Illios wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
[...] while the 64 bits ones can enjoy up to the maximum amount available/detected on your video card.

A weirdness observed here: while I can drag the slider all the way to 12 GB and save the setting (which also seems to be available and get used according to the texture debug info if I go insane enough), it will always get bumped back down to 4 GB the next time that preferences tab is opened.

The amount of VRAM you can use as texture memory is also limited by your system RAM: the viewer must keep a copy of the video textures in memory, so it needs enough RAM to store the textures that also go into the VRAM. There is also a copy of the un-decoded texture and sometimes, for GL textures, yet another copy. There is therefore a sanity check done by the viewer so that everything can fit your system RAM, which may limit you usage of the VRAM. Please also note that the VRAM is not used only by the textures: there are also frame buffers, objects vertex buffers, etc, so it is unwise to allocate the full VRAM to textures only.

2018-02-27 11:02:40
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next