Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-16 23:00:53

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Day cycle gets lost on viewer update 

Hello Henry,

shouldn't the client use the file [user home]\...\user_settings\windlight\days\Default.xml, if it is available, like the files in windlight\skies and windlight\water, overriding the defaults?

Looks like it only uses the Default.xml in [client folder]\app_settings\windlight\days

So on each update of the client the file is overwritten and the settings gone.

Any chance to fix/improve that? :-)

Thank you!

2013-05-28 16:01:30

This is not a bug, but the expected and normal behaviour... I suggest you name your custom settings otherwise than "Default"...

2013-05-28 20:09:08
Profile WWW

Renamed it, didnt help. You can only load/save in the client without giving a name, it's always loading/saving from/to the client folder. :-(

2013-06-02 15:45:42

OK, I'm kind of late for the party, but I'm getting this little issue at each reinstall too, so I thought I'd chime in.
So I do have to redefine my custom day cycle settings each time, but beside that very minor point, isn't that a problem to store user settings in Cool VL Viewer's installation folder? If the user is not an administrator, it will probably not work, am I right? And if there are several users on different accounts and they both want a custom day cycle, won't the second one override the changes made by the first one? Because there's no way in the interface to give a custom name to the day cycle, it seems to always be saved to Default.xml…

2018-08-09 15:28:31

Custom settings are not saved into the viewer installation directory but in the (per OS-account/login) user_settings directory

You may also override all viewer default settings with files installed in user_settings/windlight/[days|skies|water]

Finally, you can use the Cool VL Viewer Lua scripting feature to setup Windlight however you like on login.

2018-08-09 21:47:12
Profile WWW

For skies and water settings, you're absolutely right. But are you sure it really works that way for day cycles? I always do a custom day cycle via World -> Environment settings -> Day cycle editor, but it doesn't seem to save anything in …/user_settings/windlight/days, which is always empty. But when I click the "Save test day" button in the day cycle editor, the file Default.xml in app_settings/windlight/days in Cool VL Viewer's installation folder seems to get updated. Or at least, I see its modification date changing…

2018-08-10 06:19:19

ErikaThorkveld wrote:
For skies and water settings, you're absolutely right. But are you sure it really works that way for day cycles? I always do a custom day cycle via World -> Environment settings -> Day cycle editor, but it doesn't seem to save anything in …/user_settings/windlight/days, which is always empty. But when I click the "Save test day" button in the day cycle editor, the file Default.xml in app_settings/windlight/days in Cool VL Viewer's installation folder seems to get updated. Or at least, I see its modification date changing…

Yes, that would be a bug... And indeed, day cycles are not properly handled in LL's code.

I changed it for next release so that it saves all settings to LL_PATH_USER_SETTINGS and tries to load them from both LL_PATH_USER_SETTINGS and then LL_PATH_APP_SETTINGS, in this order.

2018-08-10 13:18:22
Profile WWW

Hello Henri et al.,

I fear that whatever changes were made did break Environment settings. Sunrise / Midday / Sunset / Midnight and, especially annoying, Revert to region default are without function now. This also extends to the related LUA functionality. Reverting to .13 for now.

Love,
Lia

2018-08-11 10:47:42

Amalia Illios wrote:
I fear that whatever changes were made did break Environment settings. Sunrise / Midday / Sunset / Midnight and, especially annoying, Revert to region default are without function now. This also extends to the related LUA functionality. Reverting to .13 for now.

*sighs*

Now you can tell I do not use Windlight at all...

The problem is that I added filename characters escaping for safety, but the escaping code also escapes the "." in Defaults.xml, meaning the viewer attempts to load Defaults%2Exml instead.

I'll publish a fixed release later today...

2018-08-11 12:34:56
Profile WWW

Has this been fixed? The reason why I ask is because when I visit a region that has windlight settings, I do not see anything but the default sky and water. When I login and visit the same region with FS, I am able to see the different settings for the sky and water.

Geoff

2018-09-07 02:19:26
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next