Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 23:42:17

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Mesh queue clearing on TP 

I had always suspected that, but I verified it today: it seems that the mesh queue is not cleared when I TP away from a place. I was in a sim with quite a few people around, of course all wearing craploads of mesh attachments, and I displayed the mesh queue: it was 2000 something. I TP'd home, and it was still 2000 something. The count actually increased because of the mesh stuff I have at home.
Since I have a pretty bad internet connection, this usually means that in this kind of situation, it's faster for me to just log out and log back in rather than to just wait for the mesh queue to clear itself, which feels a bit strange to me.
So I have a question: is there a reason why the mesh queue isn't forcefully cleared whenever I teleport? This would sound like the thing to do, since all the mesh in the queue is no more visible, so there seems to be no reason to keep it there. Now of course, I have no idea about how or why all this stuff is done, so I'm probably missing something.
Thanks! :)

2020-04-17 07:07:58

Sadly, the mesh queue cannot be cleared (and there is not even a mechanism to de-queue a fetch)..

This is by design of the mesh repository. For example, all the mesh headers data stays allocated in the viewer till you log out !...

The rationale behind this design is that mesh data can be shared between multiple objects, be them in the departure sim or in the arrival sim (i.e. you can encounter objects using the very same mesh in various places, including different sims).

As a result, queued fetches are never cleared.

I might look into a mechanism to un-prioritize mesh fetches initiated before TPs, so to get new fetches to complete before them, but I make no promise.

2020-04-17 08:51:45
Profile WWW

Ah OK. Well, I'm not sure this 'improvement' about the same kind of meshes in different sims ended up actually improving anything: a lot of avs are using the same brand of mesh bodies, but I never really felt like they loaded more quickly after tp'ing from a sim to another; always felt to me everything was starting over again...
Anyway, thanks for looking into it. :) And if nothing can be done, well, so be it, I'll survive, at least until fibre cable internet arrives in my remote countryside. :D

2020-04-17 11:24:58

Actually, I already implemented a delaying of pending mesh requests on TP for next release.

When arriving in a different sim than the departing one at the end of a TP, the viewer will now move the pending mesh requests to a secondary queue to make room for the newly rezzing meshes, and once the latter have loaded, the delayed requests in the secondary queue get copied back, little by little (so that new incoming mesh requests don't get delayed too much) into the primary queue...

2020-04-17 13:44:33
Profile WWW

Excellent! :D Thank you so much for that, hopefully no more incessant reloggings for me, it'll change my life!

2020-04-17 16:05:57

And it works very well! Thanks again!

2020-04-19 05:13:38
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]